Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.43 Average
Mobile-Image : J's Lady in .:Red
11-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Mobile-Image : J's Lady in .:Red
Last weekend saw the return of J's stunning red .:R32. Sporting some small, neat enhancements, the car is looking better and better every time I see it Drool

Righty then, onto the detailing. This was to be a 2 day affair with day 1 seeing to all the small details such as wheels, arches, engine bay, tailpipes, etc, along with as much paint correction as possible. Day 2 would be for completing the paint correction and all the finishing details.

I'll start off with some photies of the car as it arrived...

[Image: IMG_4314.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4315.jpg]

Some filthy tailpieces
[Image: IMG_4316.jpg]

Numberplate tape remains
[Image: IMG_4305.jpg]

Some road splatter
[Image: IMG_4308.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4309.jpg]

Wheels didn't look too bad
[Image: IMG_4310.jpg]

Calipers were a mess though
[Image: IMG_4307.jpg]

Some gunk up in the arches
[Image: IMG_4312.jpg]

With the initial inspection complete, it was out with the trolley jack in order to pull off the wheels.

Dirty arches, nothing unusual here
[Image: DSC00035.jpg]

The brake calipers were looking sorry for themselves
[Image: DSC00036.jpg]

And wheels not so clean after all
[Image: DSC00046.jpg]

With the wheels off and with full access to the arches and brakes, I applied Sonax Extreme rim cleaner to the calipers and a liberal dousing of APC to the arches.

[Image: DSC00041.jpg]

Whilst the brakes and arches were soaking, I set about cleaning up the wheels. The process was a thorough clean with Sonax Extreme rim cleaner again, followed by APC, a rinse off and then claying with Meg's fine clay. After drying, all the tar was cleaned off with Sonax Tar remover, followed by a final rinse and dry. Polishing and sealing duty was handled by my all time favourite rim cleaner/sealant, Smartwax Rimwax.

Rimwax'n
[Image: DSC00050.jpg]

[Image: DSC00051.jpg]

Remember these?
[Image: DSC00046.jpg]

Thats better
[Image: IMG_4317.jpg]

Rimwax always brings out the best in the alloys paintwork
[Image: IMG_4326.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4388.jpg]

Balancing weights looking spiffy and better than new Bluebiggrin
[Image: IMG_4418.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4419.jpg]

With the wheels out of the way, it was time to turn my attention to sorting out the arches and clean out all the accumulated dirt and grime.

Unfortunately I think J's track day excersions had cooked the paint on some areas of the brake caliper, and despite trying a variety of polishes and combinations, I couldn't restore the original shade of blue...

[Image: IMG_4337.jpg]

Arches after cleaning were dressed with 303
[Image: IMG_4343.jpg]

Wheels back on looking better than ever
[Image: IMG_4371.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4425.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4427.jpg]

The rear wheels and arches got the same treatment, transforming this
[Image: IMG_4445.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4447.jpg]

To this
[Image: IMG_4450.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4448.jpg]

With the wheels & arches taken care of, it was time to sort out the engine bay. Once again nothing out of the ordinary, dust, dirt and some calcium deposits, etc.

[Image: IMG_4479.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4480.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4481.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4482.jpg]

Before stopping for some refreshments I soaked the engine bay in some APC and re-filled my buckets with some clean shampoo and water.

APC doing it's thing
[Image: DSC00057.jpg]

After scrubbing all the odds and ends, everything was rinsed off with pressure washer set to a light spray. With the engine running to aid in the drying process, everything was dried off and wiped down. Next up all the paintwork was given a quick once over with Werkstat Prime, a great AIO (all in one) that cleans and protects in one easy step. Plastic trim was treated to 303 Aerospace and the gorgeous carbon Gruppe M air intake got the Werkstat treatment topped with Pete's 53' Drool

Finished engine bay
[Image: IMG_4799.jpg]

All the odds and ends clean and dressed
[Image: IMG_4792.jpg]

Underside of the hood clean and shiny
[Image: IMG_4791.jpg]

Gruppe M carbon glory Drool
[Image: IMG_4793.jpg]

Having completed the engine bay and wheels I decided to get started on prepping the paintwork for the polishing process. 1st up, a thorough rinse to remove as much dirt as possible before foaming with APC to remove any previous waxes, QD's and sealants that may have still remained on the surface.

[Image: DSC00073.jpg]

With the APC left to dwell on the paintwork, I got stuck in cleaning all the nooks and crannies with my trusty detail brushes

Emblems
[Image: DSC00063.jpg]

[Image: DSC00065.jpg]

Filler cap area
[Image: DSC00066.jpg]

Panel gaps and trim joints
[Image: DSC00067.jpg]

[Image: DSC00068.jpg]

The shuts also got a good once over with 5:1 APC and various brushes. For some or other reason the white patches on the rubber conduits wouldn't come clean and dressings didn't help to hide them either Thinking

[Image: IMG_4783.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4789.jpg]

After rinsing off the APC, the car was washed using the 2BM with Sonax Hi-Gloss shampoo. Following another rinse to remove all the shampoo and surface dirt, Meg's fine detail clay was put to use removing all bonded contaminants. Having completed the clay process and after a final rinse, the car was dried off and the paintwork was ready for correction.

Prior to starting on the paint correction I needed to remove the numberplate tape residue and to sort out the exhausts. After peeling away as much of the tape as I could I was left with this

[Image: DSC00062.jpg]

With the bottom adhesive layer of the tape still firmly in place, it was out with the Sonax Tar remover again to soak the film in. After leaving the tar remover to break down the glue, I managed to remove all of the sticky gunk and remaining residue. Having tidied up the number plate recess I got stuck into cleaning an polishing the exhausts. Sonax Alu & Metal polish was used to great effect to restore the shine to the chrome plated tailpieces. Unfortunately it was nearly dark at this stage so only 1 quick pic.

[Image: IMG_4488.jpg]

With the prep work completed I plugged in the halogens outside the garage to inspect the paintwork. At this point it was still quite warm and considering I decided to only polish out the front end, I decided to work outside in the cool for a change.

[Image: IMG_4506.jpg]

I had noticed during the day that the car had some swirling with a few RIDS thrown in for good measure, but under the lights more of the defects became apparent. I must apologize up front for the shoddy pics, for some reason my camera didn't particularly like taking pics of the red paint under the yellow light from the halogens. You will also notice not all the pics are from this specific time as I took various ones along the way during day 2.

RIDS and swirls
[Image: IMG_4503.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4504.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4526.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4536.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4558.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4561.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4638.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4655.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4658.jpg]

Taillights were nicely swirled up as well
[Image: IMG_4576.jpg]

Having checked out the paintwork it was time to find a polish and pad combo to correct the defects. Having polished this particular car before I knew the paint was quite hard but decided to try my luck anyways with 106FA on a 3M polishing pad. As expected this did little apart from removing some of the milder swirling so I turned to SIP on the yellow and eventually, green 3M pads. I think the Scholl S17 would have been the perfect one-stepper, but alas, I gave my last samples away and didn't have enough to complete the car with Bawling

Having found a suitable combo, I set about correcting the entire front end before packing it in for the night.

A quick reflection shot outside after correcting the bonnet
[Image: IMG_4511.jpg]

Day 2 started by dusting with a lambswool duster to remove any dust that had settled on the paintwork overnight. I also decided to pull the car out into the sun to check the front end work I had completed the evening before.

Paintwork looking rich and glossy
[Image: IMG_4589.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4590.jpg]

Not a swirl in sight
[Image: IMG_4599.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4598s.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4601.jpg]

Happy that the SIP and 3M green pad were getting the job done properly, I moved into the shade inside the garage to carry on with the rest of the car.

Some before and afters
[Image: IMG_4526.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4528.jpg]

Another
[Image: IMG_4536.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4548.jpg]

One more
[Image: IMG_4558.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4572.jpg]

Last one I promise
[Image: IMG_4655.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4658.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4666.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4659.jpg]

The .:R's red paintwork coming back to life
[Image: IMG_4546.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4635.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4614.jpg]

Taillights after 106FA and the yellow pad
[Image: IMG_4620.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4615.jpg]

While I was in the garage and with my gym mat available to lie on, I clayed and polished the undersides of the door sills.

[Image: IMG_4641.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4647.jpg]

Hammered plastic B-pillars
[Image: IMG_4738.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4672.jpg]

Good as new after a 2 stage, SIP and FA combo
[Image: IMG_4691.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4680.jpg]

While I had the spot pads out the A-Pillars were given the same treatment.
[Image: IMG_4697.jpg]

And finally a random reflection shot during polishing
[Image: IMG_4702.jpg]

With the polishing complete it was time to remove all the dust and oils in preparation for the final stages

Paintwork was looking stunning prior to the final wash down
[Image: IMG_4740.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4759.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4764.jpg]

With the final wash completed and the car dry it was time for the LSP. On a solid red like this there is only one choice, Jetseal topped with Pete's 53 Drool

The trim got 303 Aersopace, tires saw Meg's Endurance Gel and all glass was given a once over with Sonax Glass cleaner.

Some finished pics
[Image: IMG_4774.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4776.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4838.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4832.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4829.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4814.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4827.jpg]

Tape residue and tailpipes all cleaned and shined
[Image: IMG_4938.jpg]

Chassis cat set about checking the arches one final time Bluebiggrin
[Image: IMG_4840.jpg]

With the storm clouds rolling, J asked to leave the car overnight rather than risk driving it home in the rain. Back inside the garage I took some more pics Bluebiggrin

[Image: IMG_4848.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4856.jpg]

Wheels looking hot
[Image: IMG_4882.jpg]

Lovely deep reflections
[Image: IMG_4858.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4869.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4896.jpg]

Final shot of the gorgeous intake
[Image: IMG_5083.jpg]

With the .:R parked away for the night it was time for a bath and bed....Monday morning here we come Hammerhead

Monday evening J and Aldo arrived to collect the car...Before saying good bye I couldn't help but snap a few more shots!

[Image: IMG_4906.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5081.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4978.jpg]

Final one
[Image: IMG_4973.jpg]

As always, thanks for looking Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
RE: Mobile-Image : J's Lady in .:Red
Great work as always. Before the Jetseal are you just doing an IPA wipe, or is that after each panel to check to remove any chance of fillers?

That carbon box looks the business.
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Great work as usual Dave. It would have been interesting to see the readings on a PTG on the car with it now having gone through two correction cycles in your hands.

(11-10-2009 10:46 PM)Carn Wrote:  I think the Scholl S17 would have been the perfect one-stepper, but alas, I gave my last samples away and didn't have enough to complete the car with Bawling

That would have been to me Bluebiggrin. I was using it on Saturday trying to get my cars bonnet into an acceptable condition. I quite enjoyed its working time and performance Thumb

(11-10-2009 10:46 PM)Carn Wrote:  Chassis cat set about checking the arches one final time Bluebiggrin
[Image: IMG_4840.jpg]

I see regular posts on CFBB regarding decatting - now I can see why it would be beneficial Rofl.
12-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Very nice work Carn!!!

]
12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Superb stuff Carn!

Love that colour..... Clap

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Dude awesome work as always ,, I would have a stern chat withn J about his washing technique though Bluebiggrin

[Image: Crop.jpg]
12-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys Thumb

@ Calypso, I usually only do an IPA wipedown when there is no need for a final rinse. If there is alot of polishing dust on the surface I resort to a rinse and APC/Shampoo wash to remove any remaining polishing lube, etc Wink

IPA is also useful when evaluating new polishes such as that of the 335i I did some time back Bluebiggrin

@ Woodie, having a PTG handy would have been great. It will also help to keep a record of repeat customers paint status for future reference.

I am glad you found the S17 to be easy to use and deliver the goods. Did you use the rotary or DA, what pads did you opt for and how did you find the pad/polish compatability?

@ Nick, J usually washes it properly. He doesn't always have the time however, so sometimes a trip to the local carwash can sometimes not be avoided!

www.mobileimage.co.za

12-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Stunning work Carn, where did you get the red applicator you used for sealing the mag?
13-10-2009, 07:07 AM
(12-10-2009 08:23 PM)Carn Wrote:  I am glad you found the S17 to be easy to use and deliver the goods. Did you use the rotary or DA, what pads did you opt for and how did you find the pad/polish compatability?

I used the rotary and tried it with the LC foamed wool and orange cutting pads. Pad/product combo for both worked well. Foamed wool was slightly more aggressive, but less refined finish. Orange pad was slightly less aggressive but finished better.

I still need to play around with some more of the pad options to see how the S17 reacts in different conditions seeing that Scholl push it as a multi-purpose polish with a wide range of applications.
13-10-2009, 06:57 PM
(13-10-2009 07:07 AM)Woodie6250 Wrote:  I used the rotary and tried it with the LC foamed wool and orange cutting pads. Pad/product combo for both worked well. Foamed wool was slightly more aggressive, but less refined finish. Orange pad was slightly less aggressive but finished better.

I still need to play around with some more of the pad options to see how the S17 reacts in different conditions seeing that Scholl push it as a multi-purpose polish with a wide range of applications.

Will be interesting to hear how it get's along with the various grades of the LC pads, as well as how the finish compares. Keep us posted on the progress and perhaps add your findings to the Scholl thread I posted Thumb

www.mobileimage.co.za

16-10-2009, 03:38 PM
i love that car ;0

[Image: sig-1.jpg]
20-10-2009, 10:16 PM
wow that is truly stunningIcon_jaw

[Image: 2nv6zx0.jpg]
20-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks dasseh and Lenny Thumb

(12-10-2009 11:59 PM)Starvekos Wrote:  Stunning work Carn, where did you get the red applicator you used for sealing the mag?

Soz Siya, I seemed to have forgotten to answer your question Uhoh2

I got those from Phil over at Detailers Domain about 18 months ago. They are the red LC CCS applicator pads. I think I still have a few brand new ones somewhere in my cupboard if you wanting one Wink

www.mobileimage.co.za

19-08-2010, 03:31 PM
1 word!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!
20-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Thats Truly amazing work there Carn, and on a truly amazing car.
The colour really came back to life and the shine and depth of gloss is 2nd to none.
100% amazing
Well done
20-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Clap Vorsprung Durch Technik Clap
Brilliant Carn ,thanks for sharing.
20-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Talk about a blast from the past Bluebiggrin

This is one of the most EPIC threads and one of the biggest reasons I started detailing. (I saw this on the VW Forum at the time)

Well done Dave. The attention to detail is amazing Clap
22-08-2010, 10:55 PM
chief this was the best I'v seen, i will refer all the BIG jobs to u as we do car wash business in office park, remeber to give me sumthing, the directors have cars like these

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mobile-Image : Ingolstadt's finest... Carn 22 170,357 03-08-2011 01:11 PM
Last Post: Carn
  Mobile Image : 25 hours with a Z4 ///M Carn 21 64,394 22-03-2011 06:14 PM
Last Post: Carn
  Mobile Image : On the front cover... Carn 15 45,088 13-03-2011 06:01 PM
Last Post: Torres1