Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 3.63 Average
Something for us all to remember...
29-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Something for us all to remember...
Having spent a large part of the day thinking about various things, I found this new post to be quite relevant and thought I would share it....

Originally posted by 'smalltrees' over on DW

"Being a photographer, I have learned that anything that is visual, is very subjective, and being objective is next to impossible... asking the forum which wax is best, is like asking a group of young Mothers which baby is cuter... all will have answers based more on bias than fact/reality... Seriously folks, anytime after you have carefully washed, dried, clayed, polished, waxed/sealed, buffed your car/truck... regardless of the products used, your car will look/feel beautiful... the more time spent in the process, and the higher cost of the products used, the greater the feeling of beauty... it is just human nature... and cannot be argued...

More often that not, we base our "visual" opinions on emotion, rather than fact or substance... an example would be, you have two vehicles with perfect paint, no swirls... one is an exotic/luxury/muscle car... the other is a min-van... the exotic car could be waxed with the cheapest wax made, and the mini-van with the most expensive wax made. everyone/car junkies will ooooh/ahhhh at the exotic cars finish, and barely notice the mini-van, except for the soccer moms... you see exotic car, your mind automatically thinks expensive car, expensive, meticulous care, exotic, expensive wax... like-wise, you see mini-van you will think they used an economical, practical wax...

I contend that only a very few serious/professional detailers could see the difference between a high-end wax, and a very, very high-end wax, when applied on identical cars... and I can guarantee, if you have two identically waxed cars, and tell everyone, one has a "boutique" wax, and the other is a lesser quality wax, everyone will form an opinion, and see the "difference" when there is none, just from the "power of suggestion" again.... just human nature...

Everyone sees the world around us differently, as a photographer, I can show the same image to ten different people, and get ten different reactions... does this judge the image to be good or bad, not at all... beauty is subjective... In detailing it is easy to see the before and afters, of removed swirls, from bad to perfect paint... that is objective... after that, everything becomes subjective when terms like depth, wetness... are introduced... everyone sees/perceives these differently as there are no hard and fast rules... it is very personal... no right or wrong...

it is very difficult, maybe impossible to be objective about a product, that you used on a vehicle, because you have an emotional attachment, to either the product, the labor of love in the process or the vehicle itself... "

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2009, 09:41 AM
RE: Something for us all to remember...
+1
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree.. In our sound side we have the same problem. People relate weight with quality. I suppose that stems from gold. People always want to lift amps or subs, then when they see it's heavy, they say wow this thing must be strong... what junk! We have opened fong kong amps that weigh a fair bit, only to find a piece of lead strapped inside.

I believe there is place in the market for all brands, and the competition is what drives our favorite brands to improve.

]
03-09-2009, 08:22 AM
A great read and puts things into perspective.Clap

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Remember the days... Carn 3 8,057 11-04-2010 11:08 AM
Last Post: springbok