Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 3.08 Average
Detailed: Silver Porsche 911
23-08-2009, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2009 09:10 PM by Starvekos.)
Detailed: Silver Porsche 911
I received a call a couple of weeks ago from a Waxon forum member, GTEye, who asked if I wanted to tag team on a detailing job. We cleared diaries this weekend and managed to complete this detail. The car in question is a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera. That’s where I will stop as far as giving you information on the car because I am clueless when it comes to super or luxury cars.

We did a walk around before washing the car, there were some defects on the paint however we were impressed from the general condition of a car that has never been polished since leaving the showroom. Here is the car on arrival, not bad at all which left us concerned that we may not be able to produce a significant improvement.

[Image: DSC_0068.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0070.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0073.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0078.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0079.jpg]

Wash
Started off by cleaning wheels and decontaminating the car. Sonax Rim Cleaner (not the Full Effect from the Xtreme series version) was sprayed on mags and left to dwell before agitating with an EZ Detail spoke brush and Motoquip wheel face brush. Tyre and wheel wells were pre-treated with Mapa All Purpose Cleaner. I picked up a sample of the APC from a friend who paid R120 for 25 litres, I am no kidding.

While GTEye was tackling wheels, I went around the car with a Sonax pump spray bottle filled with APC diluted 4:1. This was sprayed on insignia, rubber and crevices and agitated with a Mobile Image pastry brush. Before rinsing we decontaminated the lower panels with a diluted Chemical Guys Extreme Body Wash in a Sonax pump sprayer.

We then rinsed the car and proceeded to wash using the two bucket system using Sonax Gloss Shampoo. Car was rinsed and then clayed using Sonax blue clay bar lubricated with Adams detail spray. This was our first time using the Sonax clay which is reminiscent of the Meguiars Mirror Glaze mild blue clay. It’s a hard clay which doesn’t disintergrate during the claying and lubricating process.

Here are a couple of pics after claying.

[Image: DSC_0091.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0094.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0096.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0097.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0098.jpg]

Drove the car inside to do further inspecting
[Image: DSC_0118.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0122.jpg]

Paint cleaning
I led the defect removal process on my Makita BO6040 dual action polisher. Product and pad of choice was the Sonax orange polishing pad and the Sonax Profiline Nano Polish. The combination removed hazing and minor swirl marks but it was leaving a couple of random isolated deep scratches. I bumped up to a Meguiar’s W7000 cutting pad to no avail. Also tried Menzerna Super Intensive Polish on the orange polishing pad and that too didn’t improve on the Sonax finish. We both felt that we could live with the remaining defects the only alternative would be for me to drive home to collect a rotary polisher. The Sonax Nano Polish reminded me of Meguiar’s M83 Dual Action Clean Polish, a strong paint cleaner that finishes down to a LSP finish but needs to be lubricated with a quick detailer or water during the polishing process.

GTEye followed with his Meguiar’s G220 polisher using a Lake Country white pad and Sonax Profiline Nano Polish with wax. This polish really impressed with high levels of gloss and clarity that it introduced, similar to the Meguiar’s M80 Speed Glaze or Menzerna Final Finish. This product had a much longer work time compared to the Nano Polish and improved gloss leaving no need for a glaze type product. Tight areas where we couldn’t get the dual action polishers through were tackled with Werkstat Prime Acrylic on a microfiber pad by hand.

Dressing
Windows were cleaned with Meguiar’s glass cleaner concentrate (diluted 10:1) using a Woolworths glass microfiber. Rubber and trim treated with Sonax exterior plastic gel, this is a product I have been toying with alongside SmartWax Gel. Both these products have become favourites on exterior plastics and SmartWax gel can be applied on tires too. I particularly like the application of the Sonax gel. Its packaged in a tube similar to the old Meguiar’s ScratchX or for the fairer sex, more like a tube of hand cream.

Wheel wells dressed with Adams undercarriage spray and tyres received a coat of Meguiar’s Endurance Tire Gel. Both products share the smell of grape fruit, my detailing partner on the day tells me that he finds himself rolling down his windows to smell this combination whenever his car is stationary.

Protection
We sealed mags with a worthy alternative to SmartWax RimWax. A product which came highly recommended from Naush, Chemical Guys Wheel Guard. Great cleaning ability and produces a stunning shine in the same vein as SmartWax RimWax.

While I was dressing exterior plastics, GTEye was busy applying what I thought was a liberal coat of Sonax Xtreme Wax 1 Full Effect. He buffed the wax residue with a Werkstat plush microfiber towel and a Meguiar’s slide lock brush to remove dust caught in the panel edges.

We were impressed with the combination of Sonax polishes and wax, paint colour was slightly darker and a lot more reflective. We will definitely give this underrated line of products another look.

After pics
We took a couple of pics whilst inside the garage

[Image: DSC_0139.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0141.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0147.jpg]

Couple more under direct sunlight
[Image: DSC_0156.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0159.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0162.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0163.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0165.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0166.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0169.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0174.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0201.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0203.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0204.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0206.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0208.jpg]

Thanks for viewing
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2009, 08:08 PM
RE: Detailed: Silver Porsche 911
Very nice work there lads Bluebiggrin

That porker looks awesome in that colour.

freerider AKA don

23-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Great to see you back in the saddle. I can imagine things are going to liven up as the weather improves Bluebiggrin
23-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Nicely done boys, car turned out fantastic!

Awesome photie Thumb
[Image: DSC_0208.jpg]

Edit to add: Siya, same location as the pepper white Mini you did with GTI07? I am assuming GTEye and GTI07 are one and the same or am I confused Iono

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2009, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2009 07:15 AM by Woodie.)
Nice tag team effort guys. Despite your initial concerns, I think you managed a significant improvement in the finish.

Did you do anything to the soft top at all?
24-08-2009, 10:24 AM
this is how a porker should look
all shiny shiny
well done guys
it really looks awesome
24-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the kind words lads, I hope GTEye will chime in and share his experience.

(23-08-2009 10:17 PM)Carn Wrote:  Edit to add: Siya, same location as the pepper white Mini you did with GTI07? I am assuming GTEye and GTI07 are one and the same or am I confused Iono
Well spotted Carn, I made a mistake and referred to the wrong username with reference to the Mini detail.

(24-08-2009 07:15 AM)Woodie6250 Wrote:  Did you do anything to the soft top at all?
The owner asked us not to detail the soft top, so all we did was hose loose dirt with a pressure washer. I was looking forward to using my RagTopp kit.
24-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Very nice detail and a lovely colour for the Porsche. Im very impressed and there is some gorgeous flake coming through.

How did you find the paintwork?

I think that working on a vehicle with such lovely curves is always rewarding. What bugs me is that take the car to the shops and back and the rims will be caked in brake dust. It is the most frustrating thing.

Mike
24-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks to Siya for the write-up. Its been a while since ive done a complete detail. Not much to add as Siya has said most of it already in the above. The Sonax paste was was to my surprise very easy applied and removed.

Will hopefully post some pics of my vehicle sometime( some person in particular has been nagging ) LOL
24-08-2009, 05:54 PM
(24-08-2009 12:22 PM)GT EYE Wrote:  Thanks to Siya for the write-up. Its been a while since ive done a complete detail. Not much to add as Siya has said most of it already in the above. The Sonax paste was was to my surprise very easy applied and removed.

Will hopefully post some pics of my vehicle sometime( some person in particular has been nagging ) LOL

+1 on the Sonax Extreme paste wax. Easy on, easy off and best of all it comes with an unbeatable applicator Bluebiggrin

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  White Corolla Detailed mommet 0 16,560 04-07-2014 09:20 AM
Last Post: mommet
  Silver Toyota Corolla mommet 0 7,889 06-01-2014 08:29 PM
Last Post: mommet
  Lambchop Vs "Pepe" The Silver Bullet Lambchop 15 42,223 03-12-2011 03:54 AM