Thread Rating:
  • 27 Votes - 3.56 Average
BMW e36 M3 door + fender scratch repair
26-07-2009, 09:54 PM
BMW e36 M3 door + fender scratch repair
About a week ago my front door, fender, mirror and A Piller got scratches quite badly. Dunno how where or why it happen but just noticed it only morning and it was there. So this weekend I decided to tackle that problem. Just a quick scratch fix, ill go over the whole car with a finishing pad and Menz FA as soon as my Vertua Bond arrives.
Been rather lazy with the detailing recently as its been frikken cold, and been doing lots of flying on the weekends. So Sat morning started with the hangover breakfast, was greek social Friday night, and things got crazy, wont be posting any pics of that.
[Image: DSCF0059.jpg]

First things first I gave the car a soak in some citrus wash and gloss though the foam lance, did a 3/4 squirt which did a good jb of loosening alot of the grime but I believe washed of alot of the J109 + P21S 100% LSP, was getting of weird sheeting and beading patterens after that.
[Image: DSCF0054.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0055.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0056.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0057.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0058.jpg]

Once inside dried everything off and gave an IPA wipe down of the damaged areas.
[Image: DSCF0064.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0068.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0070.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0071.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0074.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0076.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0078.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0081.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0082.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0083.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0084.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0087.jpg]

Pretty crappy to find your car in this state hey?
Anyways I was in a worst state so I finished the choc and packed it in for the day.

Next day i finished the taping and got to work. Was abit of a tough one, as I know the paint is very hard, but at the same time very thin, you can see the tape covering the spot I struck though while wetsanding. I decided to go with the LCC cutting pad with a 50/50 mix of Menz IP and FA and was just very careful, most of the work took 2 hits and here are the afters IPA pics, took them with the flash as it doesnt lie.
[Image: DSCF0089.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0090.jpg]
Dunno how the camera picked this up because I cant see it on the car, unless its the reflection from my bling bling?

[Image: DSCF0091.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0092.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0093.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0095.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0097.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0098.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0099.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0100.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0101.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0102.jpg]

Its not 100% though I was never expecting it too as the scratches were nail catching deep but an improved enough. that it wont catch my eye or need work at the bodyshop.

Mirror and A Piller didnt correct very well due to lack of access, but I'll make a plan another time.
[Image: DSCF0103.jpg]
[Image: DSCF0104.jpg]
Yep I know there is alot of polish residue in these, I wiped them off after.
I just fixed the scratches so if anything else looks funky I'll fix it when the weather improves Bluebiggrin

On a side note, SwissVax Autobahn has had no noticable abilty to keep the wheels cleaner or make them easier to clean. They do however bring out the flake beautifully. And before someone complains about my door handles looked all cracked and ghetto, the new ones are just having a 303 bath before they go on.
[Image: DSCF0060.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2009, 10:11 PM
RE: BMW e36 M3 door + fender scratch repair
well done man, pity about that mirror Sad

freerider AKA don

26-07-2009, 10:43 PM
How did the scratches get there?

Dancing Zorba the Greek? Breaking plates? Bluebiggrin

Seriously it's a bummer to discover something like that.
27-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Eish man thats a carp one indeed. Looks like you had some fun though in getting it all shiney again though Bluebiggrin

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2009, 07:17 PM
No idea how the scratches got there and in such funny places too. Anyways I'm just glad it was repairable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Scratch/scuff removal freerider 0 4,706 30-06-2008 08:30 PM
Last Post: freerider