Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2.67 Average
im new
18-06-2009, 04:56 PM
im new
hi there
im new to the art of detailing the right way
ive checked some awesome pics on the various car forums of this dude or dudes from joburg who do house calls and the results the dude gets is out of this world. i will be very happy if i could get half of that results on my own cars
the family tank is an audi - its got some lekker swirl marks and the normal meguairs polishes dont seem to be doing justice (or im prob not using the correct one) and the project car is a tazz with the paint feeling like sandpaper due to no care and has never been polished in the entire time ive had her (like 2 years)
i need some detailing help of note
were do i start????????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2009, 08:25 PM
RE: im new
Hey there albow grease, welcome to the forum Wink

If you wanting to learn about getting your cars paintwork in better than new condition you've come to the right place Bluebiggrin

Where to start? Hmmm....I would suggest you start reading some of the show n shine posts or taking a look around the Detailing School sub-section. There is alot to learn but there are plenty of more than capable detailers on here who will be able to answer most of your questions Wink

Enjoy !

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2009, 10:36 PM
LOL, Carn you are so modest, Hi there Albow Grease, great to have you with us Wink

Of the pics you have seen around on forums, I bet many are Carns work Wink as suggested, check out the show and shine section, have a look at products used etc and how to apply them... This will give you some nice grounding to start off from, the most important being the two bucket method of washing Wink

freerider AKA don

19-06-2009, 08:47 AM
thanks for the welcome
carn is the dude that i have seen work from and OMG!!!!!!!!! what results - WOW
i guess imo it starts with the two bucket system, ill do a search on that to get a better understanding
is there an online shop available or suppliers in durbs i can get stuff from
thanks
19-06-2009, 09:33 AM
(19-06-2009 08:47 AM)albow grease Wrote:  thanks for the welcome
carn is the dude that i have seen work from and OMG!!!!!!!!! what results - WOW
i guess imo it starts with the two bucket system, ill do a search on that to get a better understanding
is there an online shop available or suppliers in durbs i can get stuff from
thanks

Click my sig Wink The only supplier I know of in DBN is Meguiars....

freerider AKA don

19-06-2009, 12:08 PM
yas like, thats alot of goodies you keep there freerider
can i buy directly from you, its obviously gonna be small quantities and for my own personal use
let me know
19-06-2009, 01:30 PM
(19-06-2009 12:08 PM)albow grease Wrote:  yas like, thats alot of goodies you keep there freerider
can i buy directly from you, its obviously gonna be small quantities and for my own personal use
let me know

Wink you can order 1 x R22.50 brush at a time if you so wish Bluebiggrin

When you look through products etc, just post your ideas of what you want here, and im sure members will contribute and let you know their feelings about said products Wink

freerider AKA don

19-06-2009, 04:46 PM
(19-06-2009 08:47 AM)albow grease Wrote:  carn is the dude that i have seen work from and OMG!!!!!!!!! what results - WOW

Thanks dude Shy

I can't take credit however for all the work that has been posted thus far. It has been the results of a team effort between myself and my late partner, Rustbucket. Without him none of the work you have seen would have been possible Wink

Whilst I think our work is pretty damn good (if I do say so myself Bluebiggrin ), there are plenty of other accomplished detailers on this forum who put out work that is just as impressive Thumb

As far as shopping for products go Poor-Boys has everything you need to get you started. As Don mentioned tell us what products you are interested in and we can all give you some pointers or recommendations to help along the way Wink

www.mobileimage.co.za

19-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the forum Bluebiggrin

Hope you enjoy your stay with us...

P.S - You may need to see a doctor for OCD in the near future...

Mike
21-06-2009, 10:27 PM
im gonna do the diy thing and im sure im gonna get some pleasant results
@freerider - thanks dude, im def gonna take you up on your offer man
@carn - firstly dude - sincere condolenses on the lose of your buddie dude
but if you ever come down to durbs for a working holiday, drop me a pm and you can work your magic on my cabbies
@liqi-moly - thanks dude, what is OCD - if its a car addiction of some sorts, put me down as a terminal patient - lol
thanks gentlemen
PS: im still puzzled about the 2 bucket system?????
21-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Welcome
Ocd is Obsessive compulsive detailing.
My understanding of the 2bucket system is where you keep one bucket with soap/shampoo water and another with just water. After every time your want more soap, first rinse off your sponge or mitt in water only to leave all muck and dirt behind before using it on your car again.

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]
22-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Pressure washer FTW!!

Bluebiggrin
22-06-2009, 11:20 AM
thanks dood786 - i sorted figured that is what it should be but i couldnt find any literature to say that
thanks for clearing that up
so it begins for me then, i have to go and do searches on car wash (that is the next step?)
@liqui-moly - i prefer the normal garden hose as opposed to the high pressure stuff - im just scared for the water spray to cause damage to the paint work
22-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Dont stress.... Most car high pressure washers (Or standard Bob the builder types) are not powerful enough to strip paint...

Mike
22-06-2009, 12:01 PM
i got a small karcher one - how do i turned down the pressure - it dont have a regulator and how does the carwash feed through the gun?????
22-06-2009, 01:52 PM
(21-06-2009 11:49 PM)dood786 Wrote:  Welcome
Ocd is Obsessive compulsive detailing.
My understanding of the 2bucket system is where you keep one bucket with soap/shampoo water and another with just water. After every time your want more soap, first rinse off your sponge or mitt in water only to leave all muck and dirt behind before using it on your car again.

Spot on Wink Stops you simply putting all the dirt straight back onto the paint, and helps huge to reduce swirls.

(22-06-2009 11:52 AM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  Dont stress.... Most car high pressure washers (Or standard Bob the builder types) are not powerful enough to strip paint...

Mike

Pressure washers FTL Bluebiggrin

The only thing that we in our extensive detailing have found them useful for is cleaning inside wheel arches. Not worth it if you ask me.

Albow Grease, stick to your trusty garden hose. At the end of the day, you want to wash the dirt off your car, not drive it off with high pressure.

freerider AKA don

22-06-2009, 02:35 PM
In my defence... I do find the high pressure is brilliant for door sills, rim cleaning and under body spraying... Not to mention for spraying the neighbours cat 3 houses away Bluebiggrin
22-06-2009, 03:13 PM
(22-06-2009 02:35 PM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  In my defence... I do find the high pressure is brilliant for door sills, rim cleaning and under body spraying... Not to mention for spraying the neighbours cat 3 houses away Bluebiggrin

Rofl Nono

freerider AKA don

22-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Oi! The little munchkin will sleep on the Porsche if i dont.... It likes the rear wing where the fan is.... oooh warm air....
22-06-2009, 07:14 PM
(22-06-2009 01:52 PM)freerider Wrote:  Pressure washers FTL Bluebiggrin

The only thing that we in our extensive detailing have found them useful for is cleaning inside wheel arches. Not worth it if you ask me.

Albow Grease, stick to your trusty garden hose. At the end of the day, you want to wash the dirt off your car, not drive it off with high pressure.

I disagree and use it on every detail. Providing you don't use it mm's away from your paint it will cause no harm and most feature adjustable nozzle's to control the spray. They are ideal for misting engine bays, cleaning arches and wheels as well as rinsing before and after washing.

Also something to note is the amount of water you save using a pressure washer over a regular hose. Due to some fannying about by our body corporate we were told to install a water meter for the detailing, needless to say having monitored the usage the difference is shoking. A regular wash with the PW uses around 60l of water....The same wash process with a gardena nozzle resulted in over 300l of water going down the tubes Wink

www.mobileimage.co.za