Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 2.71 Average
Audi top up polish
07-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Audi top up polish
Hi All

I used the Autoglym High Gloss Protector product (think thats the name) which i havent used on the audi yet.

The audi has lots of swirls despite numerous scratch X etc etc i used different megs products and still didnt work. I should use a machine buffer or something with a bit more cut, but still trying to correct by hand and no luck. I want to use the AG SRP next, saw soem impressive results online with this. May try it with the Shield Buffer which i havent used.

The car was meguiar clayed, scratch X'd and gold classed last month so didnt do any real polishing, just used this LSP.

Seems i cant get the swirls out of the audi. The coat is too hard. I was previously a Autoglym fan but i found thier product didnt work as well on the audi and used the megs. But thought i;d give the coat another chance, and also want to try the Super Resin Polish on the Audi as i used the "deep gloss polish" or something similar and it wasnt as good. I used the SRP exlusively on the prelude and should give it a chance on the audi.

Anyways.. found the results were quite good. Very impressed. Teh swirls are still there (checked under some flourescent earlier) but overall you cant see them in the day and under weak light it looks much better than before. Wasnt expecting this of this product

[Image: dsc04644.jpg]
[Image: dsc04643j.jpg]
[Image: dsc04639s.jpg]
[Image: dsc04636k.jpg]
[Image: dsc04649.jpg]
[Image: dsc04647.jpg]
[Image: dsc04641.jpg]

Thanks for reading.

PS your thoughts welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
RE: Audi top up polish
That car!

That colour!

That engine!

Looks gorgeous! What a beautiful car. I need one of those.... Great work!

Mike
08-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Looks really good edlover, I love those DTM's

freerider AKA don

08-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Nice work there dude !!!

Love that car

... Thumbsup2
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Wheres the critical input from the forum masters!

Those pictures are flattering, there are quite a few swirls on the bonnet and boot. I need to get those out.
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
(08-06-2009 04:58 PM)Edlover Wrote:  Wheres the critical input from the forum masters!

Those pictures are flattering, there are quite a few swirls on the bonnet and boot. I need to get those out.

Sorry man, I was so busy at the office earlier, that I simply glanced at the pictures (didnt read the story Bluebiggrin ).

Its no secret that Audi paint is quite hard, especially on the S3's, so I would expect that to be pretty much the same. In which case you are wasting your time and money with SRP.

I would suggest something with a lot more nite, but I think taking that job on my hand, is going to be futile. If I were in your position, I would have a pro detailer get all those swirls etc out, and then you start with a clean slate to look after.

I know that Mobile Image have commented that they even dread working on Audi paint, but it is hugely rewarding in the end.

freerider AKA don

08-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Check my Sonax comments about the rims cleaner as well.

Ya they are quite tough. I want to try the shield orbital polisher. I prefer to work on the car myself. In jhb i am forced to use car washes and this is what causes the scratches.

I recently used Pts106.com on the clio and while it was a great job, the swirls remained so i think even if i used them on the audi, the swirls would remain.
08-06-2009, 06:05 PM
(08-06-2009 05:31 PM)Edlover Wrote:  Check my Sonax comments about the rims cleaner as well.

Ya they are quite tough. I want to try the shield orbital polisher. I prefer to work on the car myself. In jhb i am forced to use car washes and this is what causes the scratches.

I recently used Pts106.com on the clio and while it was a great job, the swirls remained so i think even if i used them on the audi, the swirls would remain.

I'll reply on the sonax post now now Wink

There is a member on here who is getting some good results with a shield orbital and Laserbuff scratch and swirl remover
all though I dont know so much about that Audi paint, it might be much like farting in the wind Wink

freerider AKA don

08-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Nicely done Ed Wink

The AG product you used was most likely EGP (Extra Gloss Protection) which is a sealant. As far as I am aware it has no filling properties hence the lack of reduction of visible swirls. SRP will provide some minor filling but there will still be evidence of the swirling even if applied with an orbital machine.

As Don mentioned Audi's paints, and Sprint Blue in particular, are seriously hard and require the use of a rotary polisher to properly correct. Check out this thread of an S3 in the same colour we worked on some time ago. It required some serious correction work to get the minor swirling out so be prepared for lots of elbow grease and a few fried Shield's Bluebiggrin

Good luck in any event, look forward to seeing some pics when it's done Wink

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Fried Shields Bluebiggrin

Do they come with Bacon?
09-06-2009, 08:41 AM
(09-06-2009 07:09 AM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  Fried Shields Bluebiggrin

Do they come with Bacon?

Bacon Drool

freerider AKA don

09-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Pork crackling Rofl

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Omelette? Bluebiggrin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Silver Audi A8 Detail Lambros 17 43,951 03-04-2011 02:52 PM
Last Post: Edlover
  Iyole's Black Cabbie (Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 Litre) Minimike19 8 21,993 01-10-2010 09:10 AM
Last Post: PaulVW
  Audi A4 Avant AMD001 16 42,312 18-05-2010 11:57 AM
Last Post: AMD001