Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 3.92 Average
[split] My BMW 540i makeover thread - Engine flush discussion
26-02-2009, 01:19 PM
[split] My BMW 540i makeover thread - Engine flush discussion
sweet man, she was just running wynns engine flush for the last couple kms and has gone for a service today.

Will let you know what happens. have you got a web address for details on those products by any chance?

freerider AKA don

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2009, 01:28 PM
RE: My BMW 540i makeover thread
Hello

I do yes.

I have not heard positive things about Wynns but have never used it myself. So cant really comment.

I will look up some prices for you and recommend some products like injector cleaner, oil leak stop, octane plus and the all time favourite called Speed Tec.

Im a bit busy at the mo. But will get some prices and descriptions up soon.

Mike

** I hope you read the instructions... As far as I know yoyu are not meant to drive a car with engine flush in it **

[Image: 64-1.jpg]

** Still thinking of something intelligent to say... **

:icon9:
26-02-2009, 01:31 PM
(26-02-2009 01:28 PM)08micsta Wrote:  ** I hope you read the instructions... As far as I know yoyu are not meant to drive a car with engine flush in it **

it says you can do 200kms on the flush Bluebiggrin dont worry, the dude working on my car wanted it in for quite a while. Has been a BMW master tech for 16yrs Wink

freerider AKA don

26-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Geez....

Our product only takes ten minutes of idling and removes resin, soot, ash and oil sludge.

Mike

26-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Diesel does well to flush an engine but you can't run it for very long on it. The only other drawback is you need to run it with some fresh oil for a 100km or so before draining it again and refilling with new fresh oil. Worked a treat on my old CTI's Wink

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Ok this really agitates me even when not intended to.

Why the heck would you want to use diesel in a petrol engine?

Spend the R50 on a decent engine flush. Do as you are told to by the instructions and if you really wantn a good clean put some injector cleaner in.

Total cost: R110 max.

Why would you even take a chance? The fuel in this country is worse than pathetic. Your engine is your car.

How could using diesel have helped or worked well? If you use a proper engine flush from a proper refutable manufacturer then your oil should still be clean even after 1000km.

The reason the oil on your CTI was dirty 100km later (and most probably dirty once again 100km later) was because although the diesel cleaned it well it didnt remove the microscopic soot and ash particles. Decent flushes will remove these contaminants as most new engines are designed to keep the contaminant in the engine in order to pass emmissions test.

This is why using proper methods is vital. Especially in big block engines. Such as the BMW.

A simple rule I have learnt. Never cut back on maintenance. It does bite back.

Mike

26-02-2009, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2009 09:03 PM by springbok.)
Phew! Bluebiggrin
Getting back to the wheel, I quite like it but look at a couple of other options.
26-02-2009, 09:44 PM
You don't clean the injectors with diesel Mike Rofl I doubt you can run any engine with petrol in the sump unless you are very brave Icon9

In any event do you honestly believe the marketing mumbo jumbo? A stamp of approval from a vehicle manufacturer is only a signed cheque away in most cases and means diddly squat these days. I doubt a R50 bottle of 'proper' gloop from a 'refutable' manufacturer will be any better at removing gunk left over by 'proper' oils from 'refutable' multi million dollar oil companies. The same oil co's who happen to spend insane amounts of $$$ on R&D to prevent the formation of engine deposits in the 1st place Rofl

"Decent flushes will remove these contaminants as most new engines are designed to keep the contaminant in the engine in order to pass emmissions test."

Then there is no need for 'refutable' gloop in the 1st place, if it was in any way harmfull the manufacturers wouldn't design their engines to accumulate the contaminants in the 1st place Bluebiggrin

For what it's worth I serviced both my CTI's every 5k km (engine mods FTL Bluebiggrin ) including engine flushes with diesel and never had issues with dirty oil. After I sold the last one of them to a friend way back in 2002 it was still going strong more than 5 years later when he decided to argue with a tree @ a little over 100ish km/h Bluebiggrin

As you were Cursin Rofl

PS, Don't dig the wheels Donnie boy, you wanting the Alpina look I take it ?

www.mobileimage.co.za

26-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Ey eye ey

Talk about getting ahead of yourself.
Mike calm down . I think ur knickers are cutting off the circulation

[Image: Crop.jpg]
26-02-2009, 10:39 PM
You can put a Diesel engine oil into a Petrol engine but you cant do it the other way round. Diesel engine oil has better lubricating properties due to it's shear properties in the oil meaning it's less prone to viscosity breakdown. Diesel engine oil also has more detergent's so it will keep the engine cleaner or in Don's case clean it out progresively.

Flush can loosen the particles you dont want meaning it could block the oil pick up and attack oil seal's and the car could start to leak oil after a while.
26-02-2009, 11:06 PM
You 2 ST bandits having a sleep over Icon9

Rofl

www.mobileimage.co.za

27-02-2009, 07:29 AM
(26-02-2009 11:06 PM)Carn Wrote:  You 2 ST bandits having a sleep over Icon9

Rofl

Rofl

freerider AKA don

27-02-2009, 07:35 AM
(27-02-2009 07:29 AM)freerider Wrote:  
(26-02-2009 11:06 PM)Carn Wrote:  You 2 ST bandits having a sleep over Icon9

Rofl

Rofl

Arnt you 2 meeting up this W-E ?
Don mentioned something about the JHB CPT pyjama party going on LOLBluebiggrin

[Image: Crop.jpg]
27-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Good morning guys

Alrighty.....Just had a good read.

Quote:You don't clean the injectors with diesel Mike

I never said you could clean the injectors with diesel. What I did was say that for the ultimate clean you can use an injector cleaner or carb and valve cleaner.

Quote:In any event do you honestly believe the marketing mumbo jumbo?

No offence but this seems to be a South African problem. Carn I think you have been watching far too much Verimark Iono

Our products are approved with the TUV mark. This means that they are actually tested by the German authorities. The products obviously work as advertised since they have passed the test. You forget. You can get away with murder and rape here in SA. But in Germany you dont sell a fake product....

The brand has been in this industry for over 60 years. They have their own racing team (Using BMW) and hold some of the world records for drag racing.

On top of that we ourselves have over 18 years of experience in this industry. We have our own lubricant range and do you honestly think we would stock a product that doesnt work?

Quote:I doubt a R50 bottle of 'proper' gloop from a 'refutable' manufacturer will be any better at removing gunk left over by 'proper' oils from 'refutable' multi million dollar oil companies.

Big mistake. Never ever believe the fuel companies. Fuel is fuel and yes some fuels are blended differently they are all mostly the same. Techron ans all that is as you say. marketing gobbly gook.We have run our own tests on the different brands have found very little difference.

An example too is that BP own Total. You dont see BP marketing Techron do you? Makes you think.

Quote:if it was in any way harmfull the manufacturers wouldn't design their engines to accumulate the contaminants in the 1st place

This is an interesting statement. Since 2001 there have been major changes in the oil industry and in the designs of engines.

The major contributer to global warming is soot and ash which up until 2001 used to escape the vehicle out the exhaust. This was especially bad in diesel engines. So manufacturers changed the design of the engine. They designed it to keep the contaminants in the oil in suspension. Ever wondered why newer cars have tons of covering over the engine? Its partly to stop you from meddling as these contaminants (often gases) are highly toxic.

Because the cantaminants are inside the oil it is important to you proper flushes, proper techniques and to do it with every oil change.

Quote:Flush can loosen the particles you dont want meaning it could block the oil pick up and attack oil seal's and the car could start to leak oil after a while.

Fully agreed. But as said previously. If you are using a proper flush and not some cheap R30 bottle of green stuff then you will be fine. Our flush for example does not damage seals or create oil leaks. In fact it contains part of the oil leak stop additive we also stop which rejuvenates seals and stops oil patches.

Over the last few years I have heard of many cases where both machinary and vehicles have had issues due to the lack of correct maintenance procedures. Unless its perfectly safe. Dont do it.

My original post was not said in anger but purely in shock. I would have expected people that go full out to look after their cars would do the same for their cars engine.

I hope this post has explained where I am coming from.

Mike

27-02-2009, 07:50 AM
My old e30 also had a diesel flush to remove the duralube crap that the previous owner put in.
27-02-2009, 09:07 AM
(27-02-2009 07:36 AM)08micsta Wrote:  
Quote:I doubt a R50 bottle of 'proper' gloop from a 'refutable' manufacturer will be any better at removing gunk left over by 'proper' oils from 'refutable' multi million dollar oil companies.

Big mistake. Never ever believe the fuel companies. Fuel is fuel and yes some fuels are blended differently they are all mostly the same. Techron ans all that is as you say. marketing gobbly gook.We have run our own tests on the different brands have found very little difference.

An example too is that BP own Total. You dont see BP marketing Techron do you? Makes you think.

Have do some testing my self with different petrols. Did 2 or 3 tanks per brand. Tried Shell BP Sasol Caltex Engen. Found the Shell work the best for me. On other hand Caltex did not work for at all. The car felt sluggish and my fuel consumption was down. Sasol and BP was also not bad. If I have the choice Shell BP and sasol. If no choice I put in what I can get.

I have also tried a a product called dipetane. They have all kind of testimonials and claims they make a did nothing for me or my dads cars.

Also while on the topic of oils what oil would you guys recommend for and 94 nissan 3.0? I'm closing fast on my next service and is thing of maybe trying a full synthetic but are not sure as it is a 15year engine with 220k km. What you guy's think?
27-02-2009, 09:47 AM
RE: [split] My BMW 540i makeover thread - Engine flush discussion
Hello again

I must admit that I find that with Engen our Peugeot gets extremely good fuel consumption but using it in the Porsche is big no no. I think it depends on the vehicle and the set up of the engine.

Some people claim to get better consumption with a remap. If thats anything to go by then getting better consumption from different brands is understandable.

Also keep in mind that the age of the petrol affects the quality of the petrol. We have now stopped using the fuel from paradise motors as we have found that the fuel goes off very quickly and causes some of my dads motorbikes (Superbikes) to splutter and lose performance.

I will take a look on our system for a product for yor car and see if we stock it. We do stock synthetic and semi synthetic but will run it past my dad just to confirm which one is best suited.

Mike

27-02-2009, 09:55 PM
All the petrol sold in CT (with the exception maybe of Sasol) comes from one place - Caltex Refinery. It all comes out of one big tank or tanks. The additives are then added in at the time it is loaded into the petrol tankers. I've seen it done.

I dont believe a thing the petrol companies say.
27-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I had a lengthly reply all nicely typed up before going to dinner but alas Firefox crashed and I'm too lazy to retype it all.

Anyways, at the end of the day it is all a matter of personal opinion, preference and above all past experiences be they good or bad. To assume that because someone performs a specific task differently to what you think is correct, and that that therefore makes it inferior in any way, shape or form is nothing short of naive.

As for the Verimark comment....lol. I actually don't watch much TV purely because it is littered with all kinds of marketing BS, heck just tonight I saw detoxing foot patches endorsed by the US FDA. Guess they must work then and I better run off and buy some Rofl

I for one don't place much faith in the fancy marketing propganda that gets spewed all over the place, at the end of the day it is designed with only one purpose in mind, to shift stock. You can either choose to believe all the marketing crap that comes nicely packaged with whatever product it is that you sell in the niave belief that the manufacturer only wants whats best for you and not their bank balance, or you can choose to question everything.

Don't fret Mikey my boy, of late all my cars are serviced by the stealers who follow the rules and only use approved products & techniques or so they say.....mostly, sometimes, I hope Rofl

Oh, and how did we wind up discussing fuel brands all of a sudden Rofl

www.mobileimage.co.za

28-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I was speaking to my uncle who owns a shell garage in kuilsriver, and he confirmed that all the petrol in CT comes from the same place, with the exception of sasol.

The problem is the additives that are added, and that is what makes the big difference, I too have been more than disappointed with Caltex petrol, I found that my car was severely down on power and fuel consumption shot through the roof!

freerider AKA don

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Smile The cure to boredom Thread aka TCBT Mimic 92 221,230 02-07-2009 09:27 PM
Last Post: Liqui-Moly
  The NWS thread - do not enter if you object to nudity or beautiful wimens freerider 35 82,465 10-05-2009 06:20 PM
Last Post: Carn
  The Cape Town Take Over Thread - Your thoughts Liqui-Moly 12 25,969 07-05-2009 07:28 AM
Last Post: Liqui-Moly