Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 3.22 Average
Make your pick- New product line for SA
12-02-2009, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2009 10:10 PM by Starvekos.)
RE: Make your pick- New product line for SA
(12-02-2009 09:55 PM)calypso Wrote:  I can remember coming across something like that online, just cant remember the name. Do they also make things like engine oil, ATF ect?

Not sure if you are referring to Caramba

[Image: Car1.jpg]

[Image: Car2.jpg]
(12-02-2009 07:10 PM)08micsta Wrote:  Hello Starvekos

I actually dont have any products in stock yet. They are arriving just before the launch.

Just pulling your leg Mike. Back to your original question. I will attempt to comment on most of the applications you have listed.

Penetrating vehicle Cleaner
This could be an interesting product if it does remove the same level of above surface bonded contaminants as detailing clay

Tree Resin Remover
It will most likely be a low seller considering that tree sap fallout is not a common problem. However, it may pick up “cult status” on detailing forums (before and after pics)

Insect remover
Sonax has an excellent product, I presume it’s the same formula. Therefore it will be down to pricing. Some guys have moved on to All Purpose Cleaner (“APC”) which is a lot more versatile (can be diluted and applied on different surfaces). However, not too many guys purchase in bulk i.e. 1 Gallon / 5 litres. So, you can stock 500ml units.

Tar remover
Again, the Sonax offering (bulk mist and wipe product and the consumer aerosol based sprayer) is just too good. Just have a look at before and after pictures posted by Carn and Rustbucket. Place an order for the aerosol spray as long as it comes below the Sonax pricing of circa R90

Silicone and Wax remover (Spray on...Wax gone)
Sonax is about to roll out their tiny mist and wipe spray which they have coined the “paint police”. I think CD is negotiating with Sonax to stock this product on their store. It’s a good product but its expensive. I think its packaged in 100ml quantities. A couple of guys on this forum are already using IPA to wipe oil residue left by oil heavy polishes. This is an effective and economical option, that being said, there are not too many guys that want to play chemist by mixing this concoction.

There are other options like using a paint cleaner like the Meguiar’s Deep Crystal stage 1: paint cleaner which retails for R65 for 473ml. I’ve come across a professional valet guy that uses glass cleaner for stripping wax, so you can imaging how cost effective a product like glass cleaner concentrate (dilutable 10:1) is when it can be used for cleaning glass and stripping wax / oil residue.

However, I digress. I wouldn’t bring this product in.

Car wash shampoo
This is a tough one Mike. Unless you are importing a firm favourite, you will struggle to move volumes. There are so many good shampoos locally that your offering may be surplus. We have Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss; SmartWax SmartWash; Meguiars Gold Class shampoo; Sonax High Gloss shampoo.

But, car wash shampoo is the cornerstone of any detailing range. Most people start with the shampoo and if that works, they start to buy more products from the manufacturer. So, yes get some shampoo but make sure its good (read user comments / reviews on detailing forums) because it will be up against stiff competition.

Car wash and wax
Definitely no! Advise your customers to buy your pH neutral car wash shampoo and a separate cleaner wax not a one step product like Car wash and wax

Grinding Paste and polish paste
This is old school technology. Most manufactures are now offering swirl removal products that are based on nano technology or super micro abrasive technology. They have moved away from using harsh / gritty compounds to remove swirls by hand. It takes ages to break down these compounds by hand thus leaving heavy marring that looks like holograms.

Paint polishing Cream
Can’t comment, I am not familiar with this product. I presume it will compete with something like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish which is a great product and is hard to beat when it comes to paint cleaning, hiding swirls and leaving a thin layer

Paint Cleaner
Yes, go for it. Paint cleaners are great for removing oxidation and hazing and they are easy to use by hand.

2 in 1 Polish and Wax
For some reason, cleaner-wax products are not popular in South Africa. I could be wrong, but I don’t come across to many guys that have bought CleanerWax, ColorX, SmartWax (pink stuff) and even the Sonax stuff from the Xtreme range.

Gloss Polish (Not for use on metallics)
Sounds like a glaze / pure polish product. If that’s the case, go for it. It’s no secret I am a big fan of glaze products especially on red paint. Try to sell it as a system (paint cleaner + gloss polish + wax) similar to another American manufacturer.

Metallic High Gloss Polish
Refer to comments for non-metallic high gloss product above.

Hard Wax (All cars)
Hopefully, the guys that have used the Sonax Hard Wax can chime in here.

Gloss Polish Spray Wax (Spray on wax)
Spray wax technology has not been fully embraced in the detailing community. Some companies have cracked it (Werkstat and Optimum) but not to the same level as conventional liquid and paste waxes. Meguiars is trying again with Ultimate Quik Wax.

Insect Sponge
I’ve got one from Sonax, bought it in 2005 and have not used it. I can’t bring my self to use the wire mesh on paint to scrub insects. I rather use a chemical cleaner (APC or insect remover) to easy the dead bug from paint and then wash off with car wash shampoo. Again, I don’t know anyone that has one of these sponges.

Car wash Sponge
The rest of the world, bar Zymol fans, has moved on from foam sponges. Rather stock microfiber / lambswool / chenille wash mitts. Even the microfiber noodle sponges sold by Shield are better than foam sponges in my opinion.

Car Chamois
Again, microfiber technology is favoured above chamois drying towels. Rather import quality microfiber waffle weave drying towels

Car Cloth
You will have to give us guidance on the type of material (terry cloth or microfiber)

Microfibre Cloth
Go for it, however be warned. Everyone is selling microfiber cloths these days. And they are getting better over time, no longer the cheap and nasty stuff that gets hard after each wash. It will have to be a quality towel at competitive pricing.

Car Polishing Cloth
You will have to give us guidance on the type of material (terry cloth or microfiber)

Car Polishing Pad
You will have to give us guidance on the type of material (terry cloth or microfiber or foam)

Glass insect remover
Not sure what this is, how is it different from the standard insect remover

Windscreen Cleaner
Yeah, why not. It will be up against strong competition in the form of NXT Glass Cleaner and AutoGlym Fast Glass. I haven’t used the Sonax glass cleaner

Windscreen Cleaner Foam (Spray on... Leave to dry)
Sounds interesting

Odor Killer
Not too many competitors other than Autoglym (they have an odour elimimator and an air freshner) and Chemical Guys have a variety of scents from vanilla to fried chicken. Meguiar’s odor eliminator is okish.
Leather care
You can do without it unless the product is widely used in other markets where the brand is currently trading. Leather care is not a big volume product

Upholstery foam cleaner
Same as leather care

Deep treatment plastic cleaner
Yes, most care have trim / vinyl / rubber that needs cleaning and protecting

Plastic Deep treatment lotion
Same comment as plastic cleaner above

Chrome Polishing Cream
No doubt, everyone loves the ming to bling transformation on chrome and metal surfaces.

Rubber Care for all rubber components
This sounds like the Sonax / 1Z Gummi Pledger (Sp). It’s a great applicator but I don’t like the liquid contained. I replaced it with one of my preferred cleaner/protectants

Engine Compartment cleaner
This sounds good

I hope my comments will help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Make your pick- New product line for SA - Starvekos - 12-02-2009 10:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  pharmacy on line avenue 0 967 Today 02:47 PM
Last Post:
  canadian drug product database 0 974 Today 02:47 PM