Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 2.44 Average
JLs Detailing: Cobra Mustang
31-01-2009, 05:13 AM
JLs Detailing: Cobra Mustang
This car belongs to a co-worker of mine. I was scheduled to do this back in August but 2 days before I was to get it he spun a bearing and needed major engine work to it. Well it's all fixed and he came calling. I had promised to make it look better than he had ever seen so to accomplish that was going to require some Rubbish Boys OE. Well here's what I did:

Tires/Wheels/Wells: The wheels got Megs Wheel Brightener and a variety of brushes. I used a lug nut brush, green foam finger pocket, and EZ Detail brush. For the tires and wells they got the ol' standby Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff at 2:1 in a Solo 418 handheld pressurized sprayer, and some of the brushes I got from Home Depot. The tires were first dressed with Megs Hyper Dressing @ 1:1 with a MSs tire applicator. I then dressed them with the same method with another TW tire applicator and a beta of Tropi-Care tire dressing. This was the sample from Dust2Glory to try out and I really like it. It looks almost identical to Swissvax Pneu. I mean its so close its scary. I have a gallon of it on the way. Wells were dressed with my combo of MS Mr. Natural/Megs ASD. I then coated the wheels with MS Enviro Shield. His wheels will be 100x easier to clean from now on.

Engine: I gave the engine a quick rinse with the CR Spotless system and sprayed it down with MS SGS. There was a lot of dirt in just about every crevice there was so I agitated it and re-rinsed. I dried most of the water with a leaf blower and then sprayed the engine bay down with Megs HD @ 3:1. I cranked the engine and let it run for about 20 minutes and it turned out great. When I popped the hood for him he just flipped. I told him now he had a reason to lift the hood and show off the engine to his buddies.

Exhaust: I used Megs Wheel Brightener and some #0000 steel wool. Afterwards I polished it with Autosol and a TW yellow foam applicator. After letting it sit for a few minutes I buffed it off with a MF. When I finished I could actually read the name on the exhaust. The owner said the exhaust has never looked so good.

Wash: I went with the Karcher and my foam cannon with 1 oz of another Tropi-Care beta product. This time was their Citrus Wash and 1 oz of CGs Citrus Wash Clear and 1 oz of CGs Strong Wash. As good as this combo cleans I knew nothing was going to be left behind. When Tropi-Care makes a version of this that foams more I will be buying it by the gallons. I used a Zymol sponge and a rinse bucked with a grit guard. The bugs got CGs Strong Wash @ 4:1 in a Solo 418 handheld pressurized sprayer, and a Majestic Solutions bug sponge. The entire wash including wheels and engine were done with the CR Spotless System. The car was then dried with the leaf blower, and a Vroom drying MF.

Clay: Well my mainstay for clay has become the Bilt Hamber and this detail was going to be no different. This is the best clay I have ever used and the only one I use now. Of course as always the lube was water from the CR Spotless.

Glass: Glass inside and out got Sprayway Glass Cleaner. I used a MS blue huck window towel to apply and a Walmart WW to buff off. The outside of the glass was treated with MS Enviro Shield. This stuff is as good if not better than Aquapel on windows.

Trim: All trim got Stoners Trim shine.

Interior: His interior wasn't real bad, I guess it pays to be single! No one to destroy your interior except you. I wiped down the interior down with CGs Silk Shine and a MF mitt. I brushed and vacuumed all the carpet and mats. I cleaned the door jambs with a mixture of MS SGS and CGs Total Green Clean in a pressurized sprayer while washing. I used a Swissvax brush and rinsed with the pressure washer.

Paint: Well I went with my favorite paint cleaner first, DG 501. I decided to use my Cyclo with a couple of white LC CCS 4" pads. Even after a strong wash and a good claying my pads were still almost grayish black when I finished. The DG 501 just deep cleans the paint so well its unbelievable, unbelievable that is until you look at your pads when done.

Protection: I used Jetseal since I was going to be topping with a nuba. It was applied with a CGs Stage 3 Applicator and buffed off with a 530xl MF. I know I say it a lot but you just can't beat the look of Jetseal topped with a great wax!

LSP: For wax I broke out my favorite ~ Rubbish Boys OE. I applied with a 4" LC CCS pad and polishing pal using my hair dryer method to pre-heat the pad. I let the OE cure for about a half hour and buffed it off to a magnificent shine with a CGs Edgeless MF. After about another hour I wiped it down with Clearkote Quick Shine and a 530xl MF.

Well the owner came to pick it up and was just floored by how it looked. All he kept saying was "It has never looked this good" and the biggest compliment came from his buddy he brought with him, as all he kept saying as they walked around the car was "Wow!" I bet he said that a dozen times and that's all he said.

First all foamed up:

[Image: 6070115f.jpg]

Here are the before and afters:
[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]
[Image: 5.jpg]
[Image: 6.jpg]
[Image: 7.jpg]
[Image: 8.jpg]
[Image: 9.jpg]
[Image: 10.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg]
[Image: 12.jpg]
[Image: 13.jpg]
[Image: 14.jpg]
[Image: 15.jpg]
[Image: 16.jpg]
[Image: 17.jpg]
[Image: 18.jpg]
[Image: 18a.jpg]
[Image: 18b.jpg]
[Image: 19.jpg]
[Image: 20.jpg]
[Image: 21.jpg]
[Image: 22.jpg]
[Image: 23.jpg]
[Image: 24.jpg]

Some reflection shots:

[Image: 25.jpg]
[Image: 26.jpg]
[Image: 27.jpg]

[Image: JLsDetailingavatar-7-3.jpg]
http://www.jlsdetailing.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2009, 08:10 PM
RE: JLs Detailing: Cobra Mustang
Another awesome job dude, well done !

I love the colour & those reflection shots are on the money, awesome job on the motor as well, looks like it left the factory Wink

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Great work again JL, but whats happening in that engine bay man? Looks like they just stuck the wires anywhere they felt like it!

Glad to see the interior didnt look like 3 kids and a dog puked in it this time Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

Find all posts by this user
02-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Nice work man.

I'm I the only one that thinks the wheel looks to small....?
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Andrewbuch's E46 318i - Detailing thread andrewbuch 17 48,078 13-12-2011 02:07 PM
Last Post: andrewbuch
  Some lazy/rushed detailing Razortjie 4 13,251 29-08-2011 07:11 AM
Last Post: Carn
  Detailing a Tank (Land Rover D3 content) PaulVW 23 65,642 07-03-2011 05:38 PM
Last Post: PaulVW