Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
Mercedes Benz E200K (pic heavy)
02-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Mercedes Benz E200K (pic heavy)
Firstly, pardon the excessive number of pics documenting this detail.

I travelled to the homelands (north coast of KwaZulu Natal) to visit my folks and family after Christmas, it was also an opportunity to detail one of the family cars that was in a sorry state. When I last visited in September, I made a mental note that I should pack a duffle bag full of detailing products when I returned for the holidays.

The car in question is a 2004 E-Class 200 Kompressor that has covered more that 115,000 kms. The usual marring was found on the car. It’s amazing what a big difference assuming a proper wash technique can have on paint. In the main, this car is washed with one bucket with the same sponge for wheels and paint. The interior hardly receives any attention other than vacuuming once a month.

This is the process and products followed:

Interior
I don’t know how to start talking through my process for the interior, I will list the products used and leave it to the pics to do illustrate the task at hand. Leather was cleaned with Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner agitated with a soft bristle brush. This was sealed with Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner spread with a yellow foam applicator. Dashboard and vinyl was cleaned with M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner and protected with Quik Interior Detailer.

[Image: b.jpg]

[Image: c-1.jpg]

[Image: d.jpg]

[Image: e-1.jpg]

50/50 correction
[Image: g-1.jpg]

Full article
[Image: h-1.jpg]

Bit of fun with some painter’s tape
[Image: i-1.jpg]

[Image: j-1.jpg]

[Image: k.jpg]

[Image: l.jpg]

[Image: m.jpg]

[Image: n.jpg]

Wheels
Sprayed wheels with Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner, left for 15 seconds as recommended, then agitated with a couple of brushes and an Ultra Plush wash mitt. Wheel wells were agitated with a wheel well brush soaked in SmarWax’s SmartWash shampoo. Rinsed wheels and started hosing down the car in preparation for a two bucket system wash.

Wash
Heard from the SmartWax distributor that SmartWash is a citrus based shampoo similar to Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss. This is ideal for wax stripping but you have to apply your mind when diluting for a maintenance wash otherwise you could be doing away with the coat of protection on your car. I mixed 30ml in a 10 Litre wash bucket. I believe this is twice the recommended dilution, which should strip any existing protection and surface contaminants.

Paint cleaning
The car was treated to its first claying session since it came off the production floor. Used the Mild blue clay lubricated with SmartDetail. It felt criminal using one of my favourite quick detailers for a task like claying, guess that’s the price for packing light. I have been using this quick detailer, alongside its cousin the Chemical Guys Pro detailer + Carnauba, over the last couple of weeks as a topper after each wash on the Golf. They are my favourite QDs at the moment, pity I am down to my last 250mls.

After claying it was time for machine polishing using a Makita 9227CB rotary polisher. The plan was to compound with M105 Ultra Cut Compound on a cutting pad (W7006) followed by Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (SIP) on a polishing pad (W8006).

Couple of correction pics with M105
[Image: t.jpg]

[Image: u.jpg]

[Image: v.jpg]

After polishing, I decided to wash the car again. M105 left quite a bit of dust and it would have taken ages to dust it off with a California duster and copious amounts of quick detailer. I washed the car with a mild shampoo, Soft Wash Gel. After drying it was on to protecting the finish and dressing rubber, tyres and vinyl.

Dressing
Exterior plastics were fed with M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. Nothing but Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel for tyres. Windows cleaned with Glass Cleaner Concentrate. Wheel wells were dressed with Adams Undercarriage spray, another spray and walk away product that I would recommend. It has a scent that compliments Endurance (grape juice), not that it matters, just sharing.

Protection
I deviated from my normal process, I usually apply a pure polish / glaze product at this stage to add depth and create a wet shine. On this car I opted for CleanerWax to remove marring from the wash process and clean the hard to reach areas that didn’t get attention from machine polishing. CleanerWax also leaves a layer of protection while improving gloss.

I have not listed my last step product, I will leave it to Forum members to guess. The first member to correctly identify the LSP will win a 13 piece detailing kit.

Before taking final pics, I wiped the car with a plush microfiber towel and Ultimate Quik Detailer to remove smudges like trim dressing and wax residue.

A couple of process pictures:

My Nikon battery died just before taking the final pics so I had to make do with poor quality cell phone camera shots
[Image: a.jpg]

[Image: a1-1.jpg]

[Image: a2-1.jpg]

[Image: a3-1.jpg]

[Image: a4.jpg]

[Image: c.jpg]

[Image: c1.jpg]

[Image: de.jpg]

[Image: e.jpg]

[Image: f.jpg]

Do you remember this interior?
[Image: g.jpg]

[Image: h.jpg]

[Image: i.jpg]

Thanks for viewing
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
RE: Mercedes Benz E200K (pic heavy)
Great turn around. Especially the interior, from before you would have never known it was that colour underneath. Does the owner smoke in the car?

As for LSP I'm guessing AG HD wax, seeing as though we have not seen you use it yet.
02-01-2009, 08:47 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! That was an absolutely magnificent turn around. The interior work is some of the very best I have seen. You did a fantastic job in every single phase of the detail. I'm going to guess that the LSP was CGs Jetseal. If I win I'll just take the accolades, lol, since the shipping costs for the kit over here to America would be nothing short of criminal.

[Image: JLsDetailingavatar-7-3.jpg]
http://www.jlsdetailing.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2009, 09:48 PM
damn dude, that colour is so rich and deep! lovely work on the interior... see you had great fun with the tape Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

03-01-2009, 12:44 AM
What can I say Siya, you never cease to amaze us all with your work. Top notch job on the interior, oh my word the 50/50's are insane !

Edit to add : I'm with JL on the LSP, Jetseal would be my vote Bluebiggrin

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I've manage to discover your secret LSP - do I qualify for the prize?
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
(05-01-2009 11:35 AM)Woodie6250 Wrote:  I've manage to discover your secret LSP - do I qualify for the prize?

So what is it? Not much mystery however I think you will enjoy the kit.
05-01-2009, 01:53 PM
damn cleanerwax! Uhoh2

freerider AKA don

05-01-2009, 02:12 PM
(05-01-2009 01:53 PM)freerider Wrote:  damn cleanerwax! Uhoh2

I topped CleanerWax with M21 Synthetic Sealant (version I). I suspect that Woodie has seen my post on MOL where I revealed the LSP.

Woodie, here is a picture of the 13 piece detailing kit. Let me know how you want to take delivery. I must admit some products may no longer be safe for use on paint. A couple of the colour coded waxes were acquired in the early 90s and they smell acidic.

[Image: j.jpg]
05-01-2009, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2009 02:16 PM by Woodie.)
(05-01-2009 01:53 PM)freerider Wrote:  damn cleanerwax! Uhoh2

Nope - Siya's post indicates that the Cleaner Wax was topped with the LSP.

LSP is Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant 1.0
Simultaneous postBluebiggrin.

I'll take the detailing kit, provided it comes with the two green MF's. If the MF's are not included - no deal.
05-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Worshippy
Worshippy
Worshippy

[Image: Header_bg.jpg]

12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow !! Lovely result SiyaClap

You show no pics of the carpets - what did you use to clean them ?

2003 Audi S3
1991 Gti II 16v Turbo
1991 Uno Turbo (RIP Vince)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mercedes B200 Turbo - Part1: Exterior Lambros 16 35,307 11-07-2011 03:25 PM
Last Post: Jughead
  Mercedes B200 Turbo - Part2: Interior Lambros 12 29,638 27-06-2011 05:41 PM
Last Post: Lambros
  Transformer – My C-Class Mercedes restoration project PaulVW 31 76,180 04-05-2011 07:05 PM
Last Post: SilverSabre