Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2.5 Average
2008 Mini Clublman
25-12-2008, 10:05 PM
2008 Mini Clublman
I approached the owner of this car earlier during the week and asked her if I could get a crack at improving on the dealer’s pre-delivery preparation on this pre-owned car. She was sceptical but agreed. The car was in great condition bar a couple of defects such as random scratches, hazing from poor wash technique which was more evident on susceptible areas like pillars and trim around the hatch doors.

As usual, I started off with wheels.
[Image: MCluba.jpg]

I called upon the Sonax Xtreme wheel cleaner (Effect version) as the detergent for the day. Sprayed it on all wheels and left it to emulsify brake dust. I proceeded with the two bucket method on wheels using Shampoo Plus as a wash solution. There were serious tar stains on the inside of all four wheels. I sprayed the Sonax Tar Remover (thanks Carn) however the product did nothing to ease the tar from the surface. Unfortunately, the owner will have to live with this marring until I can return with a jack and a bit of time to sort the problem out.

After rinsing wheels and body, I washed the car with Shampoo Plus using the two bucket method. Car was dried with a waffle weave drying towel and pulled indoors for the polishing stage. As mentioned above, defects were not serious. I used M80 Speed Glaze on a yellow polishing pad (W8006) on a Makita BO6040 dual action polisher to remove the minor defects. A couple of process pics below:

Before
[Image: MClubc.jpg]

After
[Image: MClubd.jpg]

Before
[Image: MClube.jpg]

After
[Image: MClubf.jpg]

Before
[Image: MClubg.jpg]

After
[Image: MClubh.jpg]

Before
[Image: MClubi.jpg]

After
[Image: MCLubj1.jpg]

The machine polishing was supplemented with the Werkstat Prime carnauba (an all in on product) to clean areas that I couldn’t reach with a 6 inch pad. Followed up the cleaning stage with M07 Show Car Glaze, this product did add slight wetness to paint.

Dressing
Windows were cleaned with Glass Cleaner concentrate diluted 10:1 using a Addis glass microfiber towel (thanks for the heads up Woodie). Trim was dressed with Trim Detailer, a product that I haven’t used in ages till Woodie brought it up in a discussion last week. Results were fare especially for an over the counter product however I still prefer M40 Vinyl Cleaner and Conditioner for dressing exterior plastics. Tyres received the obligatory Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel treatment.
The Mini has a lot of chrome so I had to pull out the Hot Rims Chrome Polish to remove hazing and swirls on the door handles, tailpipe, grill and headlight surrounds.

[Image: MClubk.jpg]

Protection
[Image: MClubn.jpg]

After chatting to the owner about her proposed car care regime, I decided to go for a durable wax that would last for a couple of months yet produce a deep, glossy and wet finish. M16 Professional Paste wax is renowned for its durability. The packaging of this particular can falls a couple of yards short of some of the exotic waxes that we have seen on this forum in the last week. However, M16 punches well above its weight when it comes to the primary purpose for a last step product.

AFTERS from the garage
[Image: MClubo1.jpg]

[Image: MClubp1.jpg]

AFTERS with a bit of sunlight peering through the clouds
[Image: MClubq.jpg]

[Image: MClubr.jpg]

[Image: MClubs.jpg]

[Image: MClubt1.jpg]

[Image: MClubu.jpg]

[Image: MClubv1.jpg]

Thanks for viewing
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2008, 10:37 PM
RE: 2008 Mini Clublman
So what did the owner say?
25-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Stunning work Siya, love the last 2 pics of the front end Wink

Surprised the Tar remover didn't move any of the tar, were the inner barrels of the wheels dry when the product was applied ? Usually you can see the tar immediately begining to dissolve Iono

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Very nice work there Siya! That looks almost like the same colour you would find on a Lambo

freerider AKA don

26-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Very nice Siya. I always enjoy your write ups.

So let me get this straight: You just approach arb car owners and persuade them to let you wash and polish their cars?? Rofl

You must have massive persuasive abilities. I need more salespeople in my company. Bluebiggrin
26-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Nice work Siya! The pillars on Mini's look incredible when freshly looked after, but once they swirl, they "spoil" things a little - well, that's how I felt with my ex's.

2nd last photo is awesome - love it! Bluebiggrin Well done!

Matteo - 2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
[Image: forumsignature.jpg]
26-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the comments

Quote:So what did the owner say?
She was chuffed, she got to relive her new car delivery experience.

Quote:Surprised the Tar remover didn't move any of the tar
It's no fault of the Tar Remover, I've used this product, albeit the retail version (aerosol) a number of times to know its capabilities. I will have to remove each wheel to make a proper evaluation of the marring. On the side, I would consider buying more Tar Remover and decant in to 500ml / 1Lt quantities for sale as you did with the 303 Protectant.

Quote:...but once they swirl, they "spoil" things a little
Agree with you there, you have to keep a bottle of PlastX or that Mother Plastic polish that Freerider/Megesh used on the red Porsche Cayenne.
The aerosol spray is just not economical and considering the number of aerosol products that have been discontinued, I suspect that Tar Remover aerosol may be on the VOC watchlist.

Quote:So let me get this straight: You just approach arb car owners and persuade them to let you wash and polish their cars?? Rofl

You must have massive persuasive abilities. I need more salespeople in my company. Bluebiggrin
I am the worst salesperson around, Woodie can attest to this. I was rather vague in my post, the lady in question is my sister in law. My wife would not appreciate my unsolicited approaches on any women off the street under the pretences of Pro-Bono detailer.
27-12-2008, 02:48 AM
Your wife would not like you being Pro-boneher?

Good job oke! Looks the daddy's oranges!

'84 VW Golf MK II 2.0 16vt GTI (Project)
'99 VW Golf MK IV 2.0 8vt (Boost is done, sound to go in)
'08 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 Supercab (Daily ox wagon)
'04 BMW 318ti
'01 Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI
couple of delivery vans and a truck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A mini detail Woodie 5 15,052 07-12-2010 08:26 AM
Last Post: PaulVW
  MINI 1.6 Base Chilli Red Minimike19 7 16,640 30-09-2010 01:34 PM
Last Post: Minimike19
  Mini Cooper Works GP Done by Mzansi & CG Naush 5 12,469 20-03-2009 01:30 PM