Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2 Average
JLs Detailing: Porsche Boxter S
09-12-2008, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2008 04:59 AM by JLs Detailing.)
JLs Detailing: Porsche Boxter S
This car belonged to a client of mine. I had done her Toyota Sequoia not too long ago and when I returned it I saw this beauty sitting in the garage. She said she would be in touch about getting it done. Well she called the other day begging for a detail on it. She said she had to drive one of our State Representatives in it for a parade and wanted it looking top notch. This thing is a garage queen that only goes out on nice sunny days. The paint was in really great shape and only a few minor swirls and some marring here and there. Even though the paint was in good shape the car isn't washed much and was showing some road grime and the wheels were pretty bad.

This car is her baby and she wanted the absolute best for it, especially since someone on the Arts Council (they were sponsoring the parade) with her was also driving a Representative and he owns a Silver Porsche Boxter too. She really wanted hers to trump his in the parade! Well here's what I did:

Tires/Wheels/Wells: Well the wheels were rather dirty and I wanted to use my Sonax Extreme Rim Cleaner as its pretty aggressive but safe. Well I didn't have a lot left from the bottle I got all the way from South Africa from my bud Carn so I decided to use it just on the barrels as they were the worst. This stuff stinks to high heaven but cleans incredibly well. I used my EZ detail Brush and my Black Magic wheel brush bent to 90 degrees to get behind the spokes.

I used P21s Wheel Gel on the wheel faces with an assortment of brushes and such. I used some new brushes I had gotten at Home Depot on a recommendation from 911fanatic on another forum, lug nut brush, and foam finger pocket. The tires and wells got Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff @ 2:1 in a Solo 418 handheld pressurized sprayer, and some more of the brushes from Home Depot. Hey 911 they didn't have the exact one you recommended but had one with a shorter handle and had a different one with a longer handle that is perfect for getting into the wells. It even got in the narrow well openings of this car. Great pick up for me and great recommendation from 911 as I finally have found some tools to replace my black wheel Shmitts. The brake calipers were cleaned with MS SGS and my Swissvax brush.

The tires were first dressed with Megs Hyper Dressing @ 1:1 with a round Majestic Solutions tire applicator which makes for easy application on the lo profile tires. I then dressed them with the same method with another Majestic Solutions tire applicator and Swissvax Pneu. Wells were dressed with CGs Bare Bones.

Exhaust: I used Megs Wheel Brightner first on the exhaust with another Black Magic Wheel brush and then polished them with Autosol.

Engine: Well the engine bay got my usual with a twist as my method and products just work like a champ for me. I gave the parts of the engine that I could get to like fluid containments a quick wipe then sprayed it down with MS SGS. I then wiped it again with a damp MF. I dried with a MF and wiped the plastic bits down with Megs HD @ 3:1 in a Solo 418 handheld pressurized sprayer. You can't get to the engine per se but the parts in the front and back that I could got this and it turned out great.

Wash: Well if there was anything on the car I wanted it off so I went with the foam cannon with 2 oz of CGs Citrus Wash Clear and 1 oz of CGs Strong Wash. I used a Swissvax Waschpudel wash pad and man I love that thing. The bugs got CGs Strong Wash @ 4:1 in a Solo 418 handheld pressurized sprayer, and a Majestic Solutions bug sponge. Well this combo as usual knocked the bugs out with no problem. It makes the job so much easier. The door jambs were rinsed with the CR Spotless and sprayed down with a mixture of CGs Green Clean Total Interior Cleaner and MS SGS in a gallon pressurized sprayer. The entire wash including wheels and engine were done with the CR Spotless System. The car was then dried with the leaf blower, and a CGs Miracle Dryer MF.

Convertible Top: The top was first sprayed with 303 Convertible top cleaner and scrubbed with an RV wash brush. While that was scrubbed in I then foamed it with the above car wash solution and washed it with my boars hair brush. It was rinsed with the CR and after drying was then treated with 303 Protectant.

Clay: Well my mainstay for clay has become the Bilt Hamber and this detail was going to be no different. Man I do love this clay better than any other clay I have used. I used the regular as there felt like there was a lot of bonded contaminants on the paint. Water was used as lube (man I love that) and it pulled a ton of contaminants off. After a good claying the paint was finally feeling smooth again.

Glass: Glass inside and out got Sprayway Glass Cleaner and two WW MFs, one for application and one to buff off. This was the first time I had used the Sprayway and I really really liked it. I actually got the can from the girl that cleans our house. She swears by it and I know a lot of detailers do too so I gave it a whirl and liked it so much I had her pick me up a 4 pack at Sams Club. Only cost $8 for the 4 pack too!!

Trim: I used my combination of CGs Trim Gel and Black Wow on a TW MF applicator to get a great look on the trim.

Interior: I do love doing interiors of two seaters!The interior was in pretty good shape just a lot of smudges and scuffs on the door panels and such. The interior just really needed to be amped up a bit. I used CGs Silk Shine on everything with a MF mitt. I buy these mitts at the local Dollar Tree and they work great for interiors. I gave the interior a good vac with the shop vac and treated the leather with 1z Leather Care Lederpflege. I really really like this product as it cleans and conditions and leaves the leather looking so great and natural.

Paint: The paint was in pretty good shape with just a few rough spots like I said before. She wanted the best so I decided to break out the Scholl Concepts. I used the incredible finishing polish S40 on a Scholl Concepts orange pad (like a white polishing pad). Since I only have one of the orange Scholl Concepts pads I also used my 3M 5.5" white polishing pads. I used the Metabo at 1200 rpms and then buffed everything off with my Obsessive Details Ultra Premium MFs. Bar none the best polish removal MFs out there, and Pittsburgh Steeler colors, man it doesn't get any better than that! Oh and the gloss S40 delivers is just unbelievable!

Next I wanted to make sure the paint was clean so instead of the 50/50 wipedown I like using CGs Vertua Bond. It cleans and preps the paint for the beloved Jetseal application. The Vertua Bond leaves a very sweet gloss to the paint on its own and then it gets taken to a higer level with Jetseal and then with LSP. I applied it with a 4" LC CCS White pad on a Polishing Pal and buffed it off with the ODs Ultra Premium MFs.

Protection: I used Jetseal since I was going to be topping with a nuba (a very special nuba at that). It was applied with a CGs Stage 3 Applicator and buffed off with an ODs Ultra Premium MF. I just can't say enough how great Jetseal looks and then when you top it, its just WOW!

LSP: Well the owner wanted nothing but the best so she got a coat of Zymol Vintage! I used my hair dryer method to preheat a CGs Pro-Applicator Durafoam red applicator and then applied the Vintage. I let it sit for about and hour and then buffed it off with a CGs 530 XL MF. This was the first time I had used Vintage on Silver and it looked just as good as it has on every other color I have used.

Well the owner was thrilled with the way her baby looked now. I got roped into helping with the parade with a buddy of mine and I told him I had done one of the Porshes in the parade. They were one right behind the other in the parade and when they came by he looked at me and said "Well that was easy to pick out which one you did!" In fact the owner of the other Porsche asked me for one of my cards when he saw the one I had done.:applause2:

One for all the Foam Freaks like myself:

[Image: 0.jpg]

Before and Afters:

[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3-1.jpg]
[Image: 4-2.jpg]
[Image: 5.jpg]
[Image: 6.jpg]
[Image: 7.jpg]
[Image: 8.jpg]
[Image: 9.jpg]
[Image: 10.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg]
[Image: 12-1.jpg]
[Image: 13.jpg]
[Image: 14.jpg]
[Image: 15.jpg]
[Image: 16.jpg]
[Image: 17.jpg]
[Image: 18.jpg]
[Image: 19.jpg]
[Image: 20.jpg]
[Image: 21-1.jpg]
[Image: 22-1.jpg]
[Image: 23-1.jpg]
[Image: 24-1.jpg]
[Image: 25-1.jpg]
[Image: 26-1.jpg]
[Image: 27.jpg]
[Image: 28.jpg]
[Image: 29-1.jpg]
[Image: 30.jpg]

Random and Reflection shots:

[Image: 31.jpg]
[Image: 32.jpg]
[Image: 33.jpg]
[Image: 34.jpg]
[Image: 35.jpg]

[Image: JLsDetailingavatar-7-3.jpg]
http://www.jlsdetailing.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
RE: JLs Detailing: Porsche Boxter S
Once again, some very good work happening here! Well done man!

The inside of that car made me feel like throwing up!!!! Jees, WTF happened in there, looks like someone sprayed Coke all over the inside.

freerider AKA don

Find all posts by this user
10-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Awesome work once again! Certainly pulled out all the stops to trump the other Porker driver - Paid off! Bluebiggrin

(09-12-2008 10:22 AM)freerider Wrote:  The inside of that car made me feel like throwing up!!!! Jees, WTF happened in there, looks like someone sprayed Coke all over the inside.

Yea, that's pretty gross. But face it, we've seen some rather disturbing things in clients cars before, in various industries. Plthumbsdown

Matteo - 2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
[Image: forumsignature.jpg]
10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Looking good JL, we still can't wait to try out the Jetseal....Just need to get our asses into gear and order some Icon9 Bluebiggrin

JL what foam gun are you using and how do you find the CG CWG compared to the CWC ?

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

10-12-2008, 04:19 PM
(09-12-2008 10:22 AM)freerider Wrote:  Once again, some very good work happening here! Well done man!

The inside of that car made me feel like throwing up!!!! Jees, WTF happened in there, looks like someone sprayed Coke all over the inside.

Yeah it looked like some sort of soft drink had been sprayed/spilled. I don't know why people refuse to wipe up something like that when it happens instead of just leaving it there. It would drive me insane to see that everyday and not clean it up.

(10-12-2008 12:26 PM)MeTsU Wrote:  Awesome work once again! Certainly pulled out all the stops to trump the other Porker driver - Paid off! Bluebiggrin

(09-12-2008 10:22 AM)freerider Wrote:  The inside of that car made me feel like throwing up!!!! Jees, WTF happened in there, looks like someone sprayed Coke all over the inside.

Yea, that's pretty gross. But face it, we've seen some rather disturbing things in clients cars before, in various industries. Plthumbsdown

Thanks yeah it was nice to have two identical cars right back to back in the parade and such a huge difference in looks. The client had the top down in the parade and I should have talked her into throwing out my business cards, LOL.

(10-12-2008 01:10 PM)Carn Wrote:  Looking good JL, we still can't wait to try out the Jetseal....Just need to get our asses into gear and order some Icon9 Bluebiggrin

JL what foam gun are you using and how do you find the CG CWG compared to the CWC ?

Dude if you like the 4 Star I sent you you will love Jetseal. And I'm using a foam cannon that hooks to a pressure washer. Its made in Italy. I could post some pics of my set up if anybody wanted to see it. As far as CGs CWG vs. CWC, the Clear is straight cleaner with no glossing agents. At the right dilutions like 1 oz in your bucket you can use CWG as a maint. wash and it will not strip LSP but the Clear will strip it at any dilution. CWG is a more versatile soap but CWC cleans so much better. I find that most cars I do are for a full detail so I want every thing off of it and I use the CWC more often.

10-12-2008, 05:34 PM
(10-12-2008 04:19 PM)JLs Detailing Wrote:  Dude if you like the 4 Star I sent you you will love Jetseal. And I'm using a foam cannon that hooks to a pressure washer. Its made in Italy. I could post some pics of my set up if anybody wanted to see it. As far as CGs CWG vs. CWC, the Clear is straight cleaner with no glossing agents. At the right dilutions like 1 oz in your bucket you can use CWG as a maint. wash and it will not strip LSP but the Clear will strip it at any dilution. CWG is a more versatile soap but CWC cleans so much better. I find that most cars I do are for a full detail so I want every thing off of it and I use the CWC more often.

Thanks man, would love to see some piccies of the foam setup Bluebiggrin

I figured as much with the CWG and the CWC. I have heard a few guys talk about the CWG causing issues with polishing because of the glossing agents, any comments on that ?

www.mobileimage.co.za

10-12-2008, 09:59 PM
(10-12-2008 05:34 PM)Carn Wrote:  Thanks man, would love to see some piccies of the foam setup Bluebiggrin

Yea, would be great to see your setup JL. Bluebiggrin

10-12-2008, 10:57 PM
(10-12-2008 09:59 PM)MeTsU Wrote:  
(10-12-2008 05:34 PM)Carn Wrote:  Thanks man, would love to see some piccies of the foam setup Bluebiggrin

Yea, would be great to see your setup JL. Bluebiggrin

Ok guys pics and descriptions are here:

Foam Cannon

10-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks JL. Thumbsup2

11-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Wicked stuff dude, thank you Wink

www.mobileimage.co.za

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Andrewbuch's E46 318i - Detailing thread andrewbuch 17 48,407 13-12-2011 02:07 PM
Last Post: andrewbuch
  Some lazy/rushed detailing Razortjie 4 13,338 29-08-2011 07:11 AM
Last Post: Carn
  Detailing a Tank (Land Rover D3 content) PaulVW 23 66,133 07-03-2011 05:38 PM
Last Post: PaulVW