Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
JLs Detailing: Rubbish Boys Mustang
29-11-2008, 06:55 PM
JLs Detailing: Rubbish Boys Mustang
This mustang belongs to a co-worker. I love the red and black combo (on both the exterior and interior) and have always been a fan of Mustangs with stripes. The car had a ton of water spots so the main objective was to get rid of those and make it redder (if thats a word) than the owner had ever seen! Well here's what I did:

Tires/Wheels/Wells: Wheels got CGs Sticky Gel wheel cleaner mixed 1.5:1. I found using a foaming head sprayer works best with the Sticky Gel and makes a foam that really clings. I used the EZ Detail Brush, Black Magic wheel brush bent 90 degrees for getting behind the spokes, lug nut brush and foam finger pocket. The tires and wells got Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff and a black Shmitt. When it was time to dress the tires I used Megs Hyper Dressing @ 3:1 as a base coat with a CGs tire applicator and then used CGs VRP with a MSs round blue foam tire applicator. I really like these applicators for lower profile tires. The wells were dressed with my mixture of MSs Mr. Natural and Megs All Season Dressing. I mix 2 parts Mr. Natural with 1 part Megs ASD.

Engine: I gave the engine a quick rinse with the CR Spotless system and sprayed it down with MS SGS. There was a lot of dirt in just about every crevice there was so I agitated it and re-rinsed. I dried most of the water with a leaf blower and then sprayed the engine bay down with Megs HD @ 3:1. I cranked the engine and let it run for about 20 minutes and it turned out great.

Exhaust: I used Megs Wheel Brightner first on the exhaust with a black wheel shmitt and then polished them with Autosol. This was a great combo and has yet to let me down and it gives a brand new look to the exhaust.

Wash: There didn't appear to be any LSP left on the car but to be sure I went with the foam cannon with 2 oz of CGs Citrus Wash Clear and 1 oz of CGs Strong Wash. I used the Zymol Sponge to wash and I also had a rinse bucket with a grit guard. The bugs got CGs Strong Wash @ 4:1 and a Majestic Solutions bug sponge. Well this combo as usual knocked the bugs out with no problem. The entire wash including wheels were done with the CR Spotless System.

The door jambs got a mixture of CGs Green Clean Total Interior/Exterior and MS SGS. Every part of the door jambs was scrubbed with a Swissvax brush. I then rinsed with the CR Spotless and dried with a MF.

Clay: Of course I went with my favorite Bilt Hamber Clay. I went with the Regular for this one as it had right much contamination. As usual I used water for my lube and afterwards the car was as slick as glass.

Glass: Glass inside and out got CGs Glass Cleaner. It was applied with a glass MF and buffed off with a WW MF.

Interior: The interior was in pretty good shape and just needed a freshening up. I decided to go with 1z Cockpit Premium. I gave the interior a good vac with the shop vac and treated the leather with 1z Leather Care Lederpflege. I really really like this product as it cleans and conditions and leaves the leather looking so great and natural.

Paint: Like I said there were a lot of water spots on the car so I decided to go with a cleaner with a little bite and went with Megs 151 Paint Reconditioning Cream. I used the Metabo, a 3M white polishing pad and Scholl Concepts backing plate with an adapter from Nica to make it work. I like the Scholl Concepts bp because its just like the 3M bp but a little more flexible. It works great on a car with a lot of curves. I ran the Metabo at about 1200 rpms. I'm not sure if the Megs 151 has any protection ability like say a DG 501 but if it does it will make a great AIO. It knocked out all the water spots and left a great shine behind. Everything was buffed off with Obsessive Details Ultra Premium MFs.

One thing I have found out about cars with stripes as I've done this one and the Mini Cooper is that the stripes really show swirls and water spots really badly. The 151 took care of it and made the black stripes look like new again.

Protection: I used Jetseal since I was going to be topping with a nuba. It was applied with a CGs Stage 3 Applicator and buffed off with a 530xl MF. I know I say it a lot but you just can't beat the look of Jetseal topped with a great wax!

LSP: For wax I broke out my favorite ~ Rubbish Boys OE. I applied with a 4" LC CCS pad and polishing pal using my hair dryer method to pre-heat the pad. I let the OE cure for about a half hour and buffed it off to a magnificent shine with a CGs Edgeless MF. After about another hour I wiped it down with Clearkote Quick Shine and a 530xl MF.

Well here are the before and afters:

[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]
[Image: 5.jpg]
[Image: 6.jpg]
[Image: 7.jpg]
[Image: 8.jpg]
[Image: 9.jpg]
[Image: 10.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg]
[Image: 12.jpg]
[Image: 13.jpg]
[Image: 14.jpg]
[Image: 15.jpg]
[Image: 16.jpg]
[Image: 17.jpg]
[Image: 18.jpg]
[Image: 19.jpg]
[Image: 20.jpg]
[Image: 21.jpg]
[Image: 22.jpg]

Some random and reflection shots:

[Image: 23.jpg]
[Image: 24.jpg]
[Image: 25.jpg]
[Image: 26.jpg]

[Image: JLsDetailingavatar-7-3.jpg]
http://www.jlsdetailing.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2008, 08:21 PM
RE: JLs Detailing: Rubbish Boys Mustang
Oh man! what a lovely job and such a beautiful pony car!

I would give my left nut for one of these!!!

freerider AKA don

Find all posts by this user
29-11-2008, 08:39 PM
JL, once again a lovely transformation. The colour looks so rich and as you said, that red & black looks awesome!

Matteo - 2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
[Image: forumsignature.jpg]
29-11-2008, 08:57 PM
(29-11-2008 08:21 PM)freerider Wrote:  Oh man! what a lovely job and such a beautiful pony car!

I would give my left nut for one of these!!!

Thanks freerider! Oh and if you had to give up a nut to get one, don't worry the sheer sound of this beast will get you excitedBluebiggrin!

(29-11-2008 08:39 PM)MeTsU Wrote:  JL, once again a lovely transformation. The colour looks so rich and as you said, that red & black looks awesome!

Thanks bro! I haven't tried Vintage on red yet but I have yet to find a better look on red than Jetseal topped with Rubbish Boys Original Edition.

29-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Very nice work as always JL....I have run out of 'original' compliments to pay you when it comes to your work Thumbsup2

Myself and Grant can't wait to get some Jetseal to give it a try, I have heard only good things about it and it is finally available locally (thanks Naushad and Don)

JL, any tips or tricks you might like to share with us when it comes to working with the Jetseal ?

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

29-11-2008, 11:19 PM
(29-11-2008 11:07 PM)Carn Wrote:  Very nice work as always JL....I have run out of 'original' compliments to pay you when it comes to your work Thumbsup2

Myself and Grant can't wait to get some Jetseal to give it a try, I have heard only good things about it and it is finally available locally (thanks Naushad and Don)

JL, any tips or tricks you might like to share with us when it comes to working with the Jetseal ?

Thanks bud and any compliment from you is much appreciated! As far as Jetseal goes its just as simple to use as it is great to look at! Put it on thin on the entire car, wait at least 15 minutes, buff it off to a magnificent shine, wait another 20 minutes and you can put on another layer or my personal favorite and top with a great wax!

30-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Great job. I alway enjoy your write-ups. I love that red paintwork.
30-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Red looks superb JL, great turnaround. Your detailing process, especially on tyres and exhaust, always yields excellent results.

I've read on Meguiars Online that D151 is similar to M66 Quick Detailer which is a cleaner wax. So, it does offer some protection.
01-12-2008, 05:25 AM
(30-11-2008 10:14 AM)springbok Wrote:  Great job. I alway enjoy your write-ups. I love that red paintwork.

Thanks man I too love the red and nothing looks better on it than Jetseal and Rubbish Boys Original Edition!

(30-11-2008 06:31 PM)Starvekos Wrote:  Red looks superb JL, great turnaround. Your detailing process, especially on tyres and exhaust, always yields excellent results.

I've read on Meguiars Online that D151 is similar to M66 Quick Detailer which is a cleaner wax. So, it does offer some protection.

Thanks Starvekos. Thanks for the info on the D151. I had wondered if it offered some protection. I really like this product. I was given a 12 oz sample of it and I think I'm going to be buying a gallon.

01-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Hmm.... just noticed the calipers. Not something you could correct but the owner should have them repainted. Sort of spoils the overall effect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Andrewbuch's E46 318i - Detailing thread andrewbuch 17 48,044 13-12-2011 02:07 PM
Last Post: andrewbuch
  Some lazy/rushed detailing Razortjie 4 13,240 29-08-2011 07:11 AM
Last Post: Carn
  Detailing a Tank (Land Rover D3 content) PaulVW 23 65,609 07-03-2011 05:38 PM
Last Post: PaulVW