Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 2.43 Average
Writing a Detailing Article
22-11-2008, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2008 06:34 PM by TOGWT.)
Writing a Detailing Article
I don’t write these articles as a thesis so I don’t spend a lot of time cataloguing and documenting were I source information, I do however cite reference books or articles and have supplied references for further information / research.

This is how I go about writing an article:
The proper way to find out what works and what doesn't is to read the label or relevant MSDS and find out what it contains; a combination of knowledge and experience will guide you the rest of the way. If a product is not working for you, experiment until you find one that’s suitable for your needs.

Purchase the product that is to be the subject of the article, read the manufacturers application instructions and then obtain and read the MSDS sheet to ascertain the chemicals used, although it should be said that an MSDS is a document that contains details of the hazards associated with a particular chemical and provides information regarding its safe use. The MSDS is required to state the chemical's risks, safety and impact on the environment.

They are not actual formulations but are primarily used for the safe handling, shipping, storage and disposal of chemicals and usually only list chemical families, not the actual chemical.
How to Read a Material Safety Data Sheet | CMHC - http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/ge...re_012.cfm

Detailing combines chemicals, equipment as well as a knowledge of vehicle surfaces, ‘Chemicals’, refers to the cleaning and protection products used, ‘Equipment’, refers to the tools used, for example, random orbital polishers, high-speed rotary polishers, extractors and power washers, to name a few. ‘Vehicle Surfaces’, requires a basic understanding of chemistry and how to rejuvenate and protect each of the many and varied material surfaces, regardless of its specific surface composition making objectives observations based upon the results obtained, and adjusting the techniques used as necessary

Detailing also takes willingness to experiment, which usually means deviating from the product manufacturer’s directions, making objectives observations based upon the results obtained, and adjusting the techniques and products used as necessary, always keeping an open mind on manufacturer’s claims for their products.

A manufacturer is free to place any claim of excellence he wants on his product to make it sell, I only endorse a product that I have personal experience of by using it, rather than personal preference, brand loyalty or emotions. After four decades of detailing vehicles what is left is experience, and experience unshared is knowledge wasted. I hope that you too enjoy the learning process as much as I do and with the help of the techniques and methods in this book your vehicle will become something to have pride in, or perhaps even become a “Best of Show” Concours d’élégance winner

Some vehicles clear coats are ‘hard’ and some are ‘soft’, what works for one may not do so well on the other, so a lot of trial and error is generally required. The same applies to the materials used on the vehicles interior.

Once I have purchased the product I try to use it on as many different vehicles as possible and compare it to other products I’ve used, trying to ensure that the testing is carried out on ‘like’ surfaces before publishing a recommendation. Sometimes the manufacturer’s instructions are adjusted to accomplish the results I desire.

A relatively easy product attribute to quantify is a waxes or a polymer sealant durability, whereas ‘looks’ are very subjective and therefore must remain a personal preference. “Beauty is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder

Two questions I’m often asked; “How much time do you put in to your articles?”The answer is dependant upon the subject matter and how much research is involved.

“Why do you take the time to write these articles”? It is my intent to educate, based on five plus decades of experience; passing on to my readers not just a How it works, but also a “Why” it works, as well as an explanation of the scientific terminology and chemicals involved with detailing products.

I try to write in a way that helps the reader to understand not only "How" to do something, but "Why" they are doing it, along with the technical, scientific facts along with any relevant chemical information, but if you’ve read any of my forum posts / threads you'll already understand just what I mean

I've always believed in empowering my reader’s with facts based on knowledge, experience and scientific facts as opposed to marketing hype and letting them make their own logical decisions. Because I’m passionate about what I do and care about making sure detailing is a safe, fun and rewarding experience for the enthusiast and professional detailer

In Summary
Research others opinions and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information not marketing hype or brand loyalty. I have always thought that the more facts and information you have at hand the easier it is to judge what information you are being given. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? Detailing products work on their real merits, not ‘smoke and mirrors'.

Most importantly - choose carefully whose advice you listen to, and more importantly what advice you act upon, so I would strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Togwt/141827572547893 -
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Detailing brush MR.BANTAM 5 14,871 24-10-2011 06:51 PM
Last Post: gabrialboy
  Detailing brush MR.BANTAM 0 5,190 14-10-2011 09:35 AM
Last Post: MR.BANTAM
  Megs QD to the rescue! (not exactly Detailing related) Audioholic 2 8,765 03-05-2011 11:15 AM
Last Post: Audioholic