Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
Brit New Guy (TOGWT)
19-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Brit New Guy (TOGWT)
By way of introduction
Born in London, England in 1944, I studied at London University (Bartlett College) and received a BSc Architectural Engineering, then studied at the London School of Economics and obtained an MBA in Business Management, after graduation I joined the RAF and attended Royal Air Force College at Cranwell, Officer Cadet training graduating as a Flight Lieutenant. I then gained a position in the Oil & Gas, Hydrocarbon Exploration sector working for British Petroleum, a few years later was granted a Shell & BP scholarship, and studied at Imperial College, London graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree (BSc) Chemical Engineering

I began detailing Mercedes-Benz / BMW helping out at my Father’s dealership as well as his Jag collection back in the late 50's, he enters them into Concours d’élégance events (detailing to another level) and as such I’m used to a large number of high-end new and used cars. The one thing I learned (and still have that last 98% to learn, mind you) way back then still holds true today “ It’s the surface preparation that makes the difference, not the product”.

I detailed my first car when I was fourteen (a mere five decades ago) it was a 1929 Bentley that belong to my Fathers friend Brigadier John Dix of Kensington, London. If, as they say, "God is in the details," then a 1929 Bentley is truly a religious experience. I knew then that detailing would become a passion and my méetier.

It has always been a relaxing past time for me and while at college I had a part-time business detailing classic vintage cars. From there to Concours d’élégance entrant then judge, and then on to writing car care articles and How-to: instructions, then writing a series of books on my favourite subject.

It is my intent to educate, based on five plus decades of experience; passing on to my readers not just a How it works, but also a “Why” it works, as well as an explanation of the scientific terminology and chemicals involved with detailing products. I try to write in a way that helps the reader to understand not only "How" to do something, but "Why" they are doing it, along with the technical, scientific facts along with any relevant chemical information, but if you’ve read any of my forum posts / threads you'll already understand just what I mean

I've always believed in empowering my reader’s with facts based on knowledge, experience and scientific facts as opposed to marketing hype and letting them make their own logical decisions. Because I’m passionate about what I do and care about making sure detailing is a safe, fun and rewarding experience for the enthusiast and professional detailer

Wavey

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Togwt/141827572547893 -
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2008, 12:22 PM
RE: Brit New Guy (TOGWT)
We are fortunate to have you in our midst, your Detailing articles, kindly posted by Carn, have been highly valuable in advancing this rewarding hobby of ours.

Please feel free to educate, challenge and wow us with your knowledge and skills.
19-11-2008, 12:28 PM
A very warm welcome to the forum, I have read some of your work and it is brilliant!

Thank you so much for making the time to come and share with us here in South Africa, I am sure your knowledge and experience far surpasses ours and that we will all be able to learn a huge amount from your posts.

Don

freerider AKA don

19-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forum
19-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Welcome.
I love the way you write the articles. I'm someone that always like to know why.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge .
19-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Jon and welcome Wavey

Thank you for joining our forum, I am sure I speak on everyone's behalf when I say we look forward to all your articles and input. Fantastic to have you aboard Clap

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the forum Mr. Miller - your articles have been informative and encouraging to me. I particularly enjoy your advice to experiment with products outside of the manufacturers' recommendations.

To the forum admins - I think that that the "Newbie Detailer" tag associated with TOGWT's forum name needs to be changed to reflect reality.
19-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Good idea Woodie Wink

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2008, 08:42 AM
A very warm welcome to the Forum. I too am very much a "why" person so I am enjoying your articles and look forward to learning from your years of experience.
21-11-2008, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2008 12:14 PM by TOGWT.)
Thank you for the warm welcome. I have no affiliation, professional or otherwise with the listed companies, or their products. I use and recommend them as they do what the manufacturer says they will. There are many other products in the marketplace that may be equally suited to the tasks listed, however I have used the products listed and found them satisfactory for my use. The advent of materials like detailing clay, micro fibre technologies and finely milled micro abrasives suitable for ceramic hard paint are examples of why it’s so important to monitor the industries new products, chemical technologies and ideas that are constantly being introduced, as are the techniques for applying them, hence these articles / e-book will be up-dated and revised on a regular basis

Foot Note: Choose carefully whose advice you listen to, and more importantly what advice you act upon, so I would strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Togwt/141827572547893 -