Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3.25 Average
BMW 318ti Detail
18-11-2008, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2008 06:23 PM by freerider.)
BMW 318ti Detail
Its been a while since we've done a detail and we had this weekend free. Seeing as we had no rain predicted for the weekend it made sense for us to get to work!

The car arrived and we pulled it into the sun to get a few before pics.

[Image: DSC_1783.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1784.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1787.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1789.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1790.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1792.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1795.jpg]

After the wash we assessed the damage, and other than some hectic swirl marks the car was in really good condition.

Process:

Wheels:
The wheels were treated with Sonax Xtreme rim cleaner, and as usual it didn't disappoint. The only issue we had was the caked on dirt on the inside of the rim. Nothing would remove that, we tried 3 passes with the wheel cleaner and brushes and sponges but the dirt was REALLY not coming off easily. After spending an hour on the wheels and the wheel wells we had to call it quits on the wheel insides as it would have taken us forever to remove. It left me feeling a bit unsatisfied, but we were really getting pushed for time Sad . We treated the wheel wells with some Meguairs APC and Mothers Fender brush. Stripped the dirt & grime with ease.

Wash:
The car was washed with Turtlewax ICE shampoo, and together with Neil's Mothers wash mitt, it proved quite decent. It provided a slick wash surface and the mitts glided over effortlessly. We hosed down and dried. Normally we would have clayed first before drying but the sun was working against us so we had to make haste and pull it into the garage asap. Once dried we clayed. Paint work was pretty clean except for a bit of contamination on the roof.

Paint correction:
We had the Menzerna samples from our supplier sitting on the shelf for way too long and I was dying to give it a bash on a full detail. I did a single pass with IP (PO85) and the results were ASTOUNDING. It tackled the swirls with ease. It only required a single pass to leave the finish clear and glossy.

Heres a 50/50 of the fender after a SINGLE pass !

[Image: DSC_1800.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1803.jpg]

It was also the first time I was using the Flexpads that I got about 2 weeks ago. They also didn't disappoint, loved the fact that the pad screwed directly onto the buffer ensuring that it was perfectly centered every time.

[Image: DSC_1816.jpg]

The little 80mm pad proved invaluable, as I could get into tighter spots with ease.

[Image: DSC_1821.jpg]

So while I did the rest of the car, Neil whipped out the Poliball and got to work on the lights. There was a significant improvement on the taillights. Pity the image doesn't show it off nicely. We will have to tape up and do a 50/50 next time.

[Image: DSC_1804.jpg]

Once done, he then proceeded to use the smaller white poliball for the wheels. Some XP swirl remover seemed to do the trick leaving the wheels looking brighter and a nice shine as well.

Once complete with the paint correction, the entire car was glazed with Meguiars M80 Speed glaze. Always a favourite and it always delivers. Lastly the car was topped up with some AutoGlym High Definition wax, which gave the colour more depth and looking wet.

The windows were then treated with some AG glass polish.

The tyres were treated with the Turtle wax Extreme nano tyre cream. I was happy with the results, it requires a bit of massaging into the tyre vs Endurance gel paint on application. But it left the tyres looking good.

Finally the results !

[Image: DSC_1824.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1831.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1834.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1836.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1839.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1846.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1847.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1848.jpg]

Thanks for looking! 8)
Hmmm .. Mr Forum Admin,

I think your forum word ban/sensor on crazyd******* is replacing with CD , Nono hence changing the my photobucket url
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/c...318detail/
to
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/CD/bmw318detail/
and hence preventing me from posting pics Iono

Edit by Freerider........ FIXED Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2008, 11:29 AM
RE: BMW 318ti Detail
interesting ......lol

[Image: sig1.jpg]
18-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Excellent work guys! I love the reflections! Bet the owner was impressed!

freerider AKA don

18-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Excellent work guys. I concur with Freerider, the reflections shots are off the hook.

Interesting to see a lowly rated brand (Turtle Wax) finding some love. There is a growing stock pile of Turtle Wax and Shield Orbital, compliments of Waxon members, looking for a home.

How do you clean these Flexipads seeing that they are attached to the backing plate?
18-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Nice work guys, well done Wink

Capturing swirls and imperfections in tail lights is tricky at best Bluebiggrin

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2008, 07:24 AM
I love these cars!!! Nice job guy

'84 VW Golf MK II 2.0 16vt GTI (Project)
'99 VW Golf MK IV 2.0 8vt (Boost is done, sound to go in)
'08 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 Supercab (Daily ox wagon)
'04 BMW 318ti
'01 Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI
couple of delivery vans and a truck
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Excellent results and lovely pics Neil / Pravin Clap

2003 Audi S3
1991 Gti II 16v Turbo
1991 Uno Turbo (RIP Vince)
19-11-2008, 08:29 AM
(18-11-2008 08:56 AM)Vampyre Wrote:  Hmmm .. Mr Forum Admin,

I think your forum word ban/sensor on crazyd******* is replacing with CD , Nono hence changing the my photobucket url
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/c...318detail/
to
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/CD/bmw318detail/
and hence preventing me from posting pics Iono

Edit by Freerider........ FIXED Wink

Thought you had been Zymoled Rofl
19-11-2008, 09:21 AM
that colour reali compliments the work alot ey..wel dun guy...i like that lil pad..wher u get them?wot they cost?

[Image: sig1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lambchop - 135i Detail Lambchop 5 19,591 09-04-2012 03:42 PM
Last Post: kripstoe
  First detail BMW X3 - Black mommet 9 28,346 31-03-2012 09:58 PM
Last Post: kripstoe
  2010 E90 320i - Protection Detail andrewbuch 8 25,179 17-01-2012 01:55 PM
Last Post: andrewbuch