Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 3 Average
Incoming!!!
10-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Incoming!!!
Hi
I'm your latest newbie. A good fellow from the Cartoday forum referred me here. I'm a Golf nutter, and the older I get, the older my cars seem to be becoming.
My latest passion is a really really clean Mk II 1800 16v. It is such an original car that I have decided that instead of modifying it into a fire breather, I wanted to retain it's originality and show it off at events when I can. It is clearly a disease Bluebiggrin
Which is how I ended up here, where I hope to learn a lot about how to get her pristine body and interior wise!

My day job is my maintenance workshop for VW, Audi and Seat cars in the Eastern Cape, and performance tuning.
Anyway Hi! and great forum
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2008, 06:47 PM
RE: Incoming!!!
WELCOME!!! I think you will find a lot of useful information here, and I'm sure you will end up answering some questions as well..... being in the industry and all Wink

freerider AKA don

10-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the Forum Will, glad you decided to sign up.

Hopefully Calypso, fellow PE boy, will drop in. Freerider's brother has also recently purchased a Golf GTI MK II, maybe he will share war stories how they plan to get it back to "showroom" condition.
10-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Mr Glibbery....Glad to see you found your way over here, I am sure you will find everything you may need right here Wink

As Siya mentioned, Calypso is in PE and I am sure he can help get you started in the right direction Wink

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Its very easy, log onto http://www.poor-boys.co.za buy one of everything and your sorted.
Thats pretty much what i did Tongue
11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Welcome.
I'm also a VW/Audi lover. Had to give up my Jetta MK II CLI not to long ago for a deal that I could not say no. Sure miss the Jetta. MK II series was the best and one day I just might get me one again.
11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
aaaahhh.... Mr Revo!

good to see you on the other side of the fence!

[Image: Header_bg.jpg]

11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys.... (PE boy here runs off and finds a cardboard box to sit under). Tongue

Will, glad to see you've joined up. I'll pop around possibly later today, depending on how far I get with things around the house.

Matteo - 2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
[Image: forumsignature.jpg]
11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome.
As for being the other side of the fence, errr not sure what that means but thanks (I think). Bluebiggrin
I've got quite a few questions I'll be asking on the detailing side of things.
I've been on the leather restoration mission this week, and after a few disastrous first attempts will certainly be sharing some of my progress here!
Calypso, I think we have met before? Forgive me if I'm wrong
11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Please.... Please.... tell me you are not one of the unfortunate ppl that was advised to use milk to condition leather?

freerider AKA don

11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
(11-11-2008 06:40 PM)freerider Wrote:  Please.... Please.... tell me you are not one of the unfortunate ppl that was advised to use milk to condition leather?

This is something I read about leather and dash treatment

Quote:simple tip for conditioning your leather....get some fresh cream milk, then apply to your leather with a sponge and then wipe off with a chamious...works wonders for your leather seats...as for the windowlene solution, you mix about 5ml of windolene to a half a bucket of warm water and then use your chamious to wipe all plastic parts and dashboard...this will clean as well as keep the factory look as with dash products it tends to leave a shiny residue

Source

Now that JIMS is long gone, I have spare time to try out various detailing, household and cullinary products on my car.
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2008 08:04 PM by freerider.)
Rofl make sure its CLOVER full cream milk

WTF is this plonker smoking?????

freerider AKA don

11-11-2008, 08:16 PM
(11-11-2008 07:55 PM)freerider Wrote:  WTF is this plonker smoking?????

Steady now Don, I know you are kicking yourself for sending the proprietors of Poor-Boys online store on a goose chase in the United State of Obama looking for leather care products that you can sell to us unassuming detailers at a premium.

Now the truth is out.
11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
From personal experience with my 4 year old daughter, I can confirm that strawberry milkshake does nothing for interior care.
11-11-2008, 08:37 PM
(11-11-2008 08:17 PM)Woodie6250 Wrote:  From personal experience with my 4 year old daughter, I can confirm that strawberry milkshake does nothing for interior care.

HAHAHAHAHAHA woodie i was literally laughing out load at this! Rofl

freerider AKA don

11-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Don, so when you putting the special Clover Full Cream on the site? I wanna get it with the next chemical guys order Tongue
12-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Rofl at the milk thing.

Welcome Will. Look forward to your input.
12-11-2008, 09:27 AM
(11-11-2008 08:31 AM)whattingh Wrote:  Welcome.
I'm also a VW/Audi lover. Had to give up my Jetta MK II CLI not to long ago for a deal that I could not say no. Sure miss the Jetta. MK II series was the best and one day I just might get me one again.

(11-11-2008 08:38 AM)megesh Wrote:  aaaahhh.... Mr Revo!

good to see you on the other side of the fence!

(11-11-2008 06:40 PM)freerider Wrote:  Please.... Please.... tell me you are not one of the unfortunate ppl that was advised to use milk to condition leather?

Lol, no. I had an old 911 Carrera, and on her first trip in it, my infant daughter gave a fine salute to my driving style by projectile vomiting onto the front seats. Speed strip of note that did not 'buff out'. At the time I used the Plush leather care to black it out. Sad

Actually, on this car I started out with some Wynns Leather Care Spray. All it did was dry out the seats and make the cracks more obvious. Then I got really stupid and applied some Shield leather creme. That really cocked things up.
On the recommendation of some guys I ordered some Liquid LEather (no, not the one on Telecommercials for fixing knife wounds in couches after despatching the Mother In Law) from Rolo Motors, which I am waiting for to give it a good base clean and final treatment.
I've experimented in the interim with Fluid Film in spot tests which has improved the situation significantly, but I've heard conflicting reports on the affect of Lanolin based stuff. Comments welcome on that one?
12-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Harrow Will :-)

Careful here big guy - you can get broke quick :-0 all in the name of clean cars!!!

'84 VW Golf MK II 2.0 16vt GTI (Project)
'99 VW Golf MK IV 2.0 8vt (Boost is done, sound to go in)
'08 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 Supercab (Daily ox wagon)
'04 BMW 318ti
'01 Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI
couple of delivery vans and a truck
13-11-2008, 10:50 AM
hey Will.i.am
welcum bri

[Image: sig1.jpg]