Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
Detailing as a job?
21-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Detailing as a job?
Hello everyone.

I have been actively involved in detailing for about two years now.
I am also a week away from my valedictory and I still do not know what I want to study next year which is rather worrying.

I have decided a gap year is the best thing for me because I dont want to rush into a course I wont enjoy or waste money.

I am looking to work for a detailing company next year. I cannot afford to officially start my own business yet and detailing is the one thing (along with photography) that I am really good at.

I stay in Cape Town and I am currently at Wynberg Boys High School. I have good people skills and an eye for detail. I would love to start as soon as possible even if I can only work half day or on certain days.

Are there any people here who are looking for partners or just an assistant? If you could PM me that would be greatly appreciated. Or simply reply on this thread.

Mike

[Image: 64-1.jpg]

** Still thinking of something intelligent to say... **

:icon9:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2008, 10:59 AM
RE: Detailing as a job?
Hey Mike,

As soon as everything has calmed down a bit, I would like to meet you.

will only be in about 2 weeks time though, got the raceline autofest this weekend and Ford ST detailing day and Motorshow in JHB next weekend etc... loads of shite to still get done before both!

Don

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for replying so quickly.

I was planning to go to the JHB Motorshow but between flights and it being in the middle of my finals it was pretty dodgy so cancelled. Pics are a must Bluebiggrin

My finals end on the third of December. So with us being busy and all it may have to wait a bit if you dont mind. But I most certainly look forward to it. Whereabout are you? Or are you mobile?

Mike

21-10-2008, 11:19 AM
(21-10-2008 11:08 AM)08micsta Wrote:  Thanks for replying so quickly.

I was planning to go to the JHB Motorshow but between flights and it being in the middle of my finals it was pretty dodgy so cancelled. Pics are a must Bluebiggrin

My finals end on the third of December. So with us being busy and all it may have to wait a bit if you dont mind. But I most certainly look forward to it. Whereabout are you? Or are you mobile?

Mike

Mobile and work from home in parklands, but I've been offered premises in Athlone.... was looking into doing something maybe. that and the fact that we are no longer advertising that we do detailing, because we are already booked almost full for Nov!

Yeah, I most certainly will be taking pics at the motorshow! Of the cars and the showgirls Icon9

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Thats very interesting. How long ago did you start your company?

Showgirls.... hmmm ha ha

Mike

21-10-2008, 11:30 AM
(21-10-2008 11:21 AM)08micsta Wrote:  Thats very interesting. How long ago did you start your company?

Showgirls.... hmmm ha ha

Mike

Started 23 April this yr Wink

I would like to think that the quality of our work is the cause behind all the bookings Str8pimp
At the moment we are operating on word of mouth really, and Megesh and I both work week days, so Detailing is limited to weekends for now.

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Its interesting because I would have thought that detailers would not be as busy with the whole credit crunch situation and people trying to spare money.

Your work must be brilliant for you to be doing so well in such short time. What about starting a sector that deals with detailing during the week too? Maybe one or two cars slotted in during the week?

Mike

21-10-2008, 11:41 AM
(21-10-2008 11:34 AM)08micsta Wrote:  Its interesting because I would have thought that detailers would not be as busy with the whole credit crunch situation and people trying to spare money.

Your work must be brilliant for you to be doing so well in such short time. What about starting a sector that deals with detailing during the week too? Maybe one or two cars slotted in during the week?

Mike

Thats what I have been thinking about, but my standards are exceptionally high, which I'm sure you can appreciate... Wink

So I cant just have some hack running the show and stuffing peoples cars up while I'm not around. It would have to be someone that is pationate about what they are doing and at the same time understand that it is a new venture and income will not be the greatest, until things get settled in some sort of pattern is established wrt to work flow and the effect that the winter months will have on that work.

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 11:46 AM
That is fully understandable. Interstingly enough the positive side of winter is the oppertunity to sell "winter preps" or "protection" deals to customers who want to protect their vehicles during the winter time. Alternatively you could offer a monthly or bi monthly valeting service after detailing a vehivle so that the customer can bring the vehicle in for a valet and touch up to keep it in top shape?

Do you offer anything like that or are you purely detailing in a once off form?

Mike

21-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Because we are essentially limited to 2 days a week right now, it is very difficult to offer something like that for the simple reason that we just dont have enough time to do everything. We have numorous customers that want us to maintain their just detailed look but we just cant.

Right now if you wanted your car detailed we would only be able to book it in for the last weekend of Nov.
So as much as we are trying to grow and offer more, there is only so much that 2 ppl can do Sad

This is exactly why I'm looking into something along the lines of what you just mentioned, but need to find someone who is reliable and trustworthy to fill that gap.

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Without blowing my own trumpet. I think I would fit into that perfectly. I have been trusted with Audi A4's etc for over two days to stay at my school (I detailed them at the schools hostel lol ) But I need some more experience with a proper polisher and other products first.

I did photo's at Bloomsbury about four months ago and told them that a Black Jaguar XKR they had would not sell due to the swirls etc it had. The manager laughed but four months later the car is still not sold. You may want to contact them about it.... Bluebiggrin

I would glady assist if you need any assistance and I think this is a great oppertunity.

Mike

21-10-2008, 12:14 PM
We'll talk when you dont with your exams etc Wink

wrt bloomsbury, I have contacts there, but I wouldnt bother... they have a contract with permaguard and are not willing to pay to have the swirls removed.

when you chat to them, they just spin you the bad times garbage and how they cant afford to spend money on the cars etc

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 12:17 PM
They have just opened a new restuarant and have more staff. Do you know who the detailer is who does Lamborghini's vehicles?

I look forward to the end of these exams then.

Mike

21-10-2008, 12:50 PM
(21-10-2008 12:17 PM)08micsta Wrote:  They have just opened a new restuarant and have more staff. Do you know who the detailer is who does Lamborghini's vehicles?

I look forward to the end of these exams then.

Mike

They both fall under the same umbrella being CMH motor group, and that is permaguard as well. They rock up there with a couple guys weilding uber orbital machines and whip a "special" protective coating onto the car, and bill a hell of a lot of bucks, then leave

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I even tried VW.... Got a story about a national detailer and Audi had the same story being affiliated with VW and all. Hmmm who does BMW's cars?

Mike

21-10-2008, 01:34 PM
chasing contracts with dealerships is not where you are going to make money! you WILL however get shafted and made a fall boy for ANYTHING that might go wrong with the cars paint thereafter.

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 01:42 PM
This is completely true. Which is why I decided to rather just do solo....

Mike

21-10-2008, 03:54 PM
(21-10-2008 10:59 AM)freerider Wrote:  Hey Mike,

will only be in about 2 weeks time though, got the raceline autofest this weekend and Ford ST detailing day and Motorshow in JHB next weekend etc... loads of shite to still get done before both!

Don

DUDE... when you going to joburg?
I'm leaving on the 28th (tuesday)
21-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Rofl I fly up on the friday, 31st and come back on sunday evening, the 2nd of Nov

(21-10-2008 03:54 PM)revo Wrote:  
(21-10-2008 10:59 AM)freerider Wrote:  Hey Mike,

Don

DUDE... when you going to joburg?
I'm leaving on the 28th (tuesday)

freerider AKA don

21-10-2008, 04:06 PM
(21-10-2008 04:02 PM)freerider Wrote:  Rofl I fly up on the friday, 31st and come back on sunday evening, the 2nd of Nov

aaah man... i will be out of there on the 30th.
had no idea there was a show nxt weekend Sad
taking up some parts for e92... and got two 335s lined up for chipping Bluebiggrin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Detailing brush MR.BANTAM 5 14,836 24-10-2011 06:51 PM
Last Post: gabrialboy
  Detailing brush MR.BANTAM 0 5,181 14-10-2011 09:35 AM
Last Post: MR.BANTAM
  Megs QD to the rescue! (not exactly Detailing related) Audioholic 2 8,742 03-05-2011 11:15 AM
Last Post: Audioholic