Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3.75 Average
Silver GT2
07-09-2008, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2008 09:12 PM by Starvekos.)
Silver GT2
The owner of the car asked me to pop in and advise him on the optimal detailing technique and products for his GT2, needless to say I obliged. I recommended a couple of products and tools to supplement his current detailing kit. We then proceeded to clean the car, discussing technique for each task as we cracked on.

The car is fairly new but I wouldn’t call it a garage queen because it gets driven pretty hard on the track. With that in mind, wheel wells and mags took some time to scrub using a variety of brushes. Paint work was in good condition and was free on bonded contaminants. So we decided to use a finishing polish by machine, paint cleaner by hand on tight spots and then seal with a wax.

This was my first experience with Menzerna polish and I wish I had made up my mind a lot earlier. I must mention that I was working in a controlled environment unlike the black Honda S2000 job. The Menzerna FF polish has a long work time which allowed for multiple passes without the risk of dry buffing. Unfortunately, I was pressed for time so I could do side by side tests comparing Menzerna to say Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze.

Protection came in the form of Chemical Guys 5050 wax. As mentioned last week, the packaging looks suspect. The tin was tightly sealed and was not easy to pry open like other paste waxes. Then there is the matter of the signature on the tin itself, couldn’t help but wonder if the squiggle belongs to Megesh / Don rather than some chemist at Chemical Guys. 5050 was applied by the owner of the car so I can’t comment on the easy of application. A silver car was not the ideal canvas to critique the gloss / depth of the wax, guess I will have to find another car.

Mags
Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner (APC)
Mothers fender brush
Meguiars Versa Angle Tire brush
MotoQuip mag face brush
Sonax long handle brush

Wash and dry

Sonax High Gloss shampoo
Meguiars Microfiber mitt
Meguiars Water Magnet
5 Ltr bucket X2

Correction
Makita BO6040 sander
Sonax orange polishing pad
Menzerna FF polish
Werkstat Prime (Carnauba)

Protection
Chemical Guys 5050 wax
NXT Metal Polysh
Meguiars CleanerWax (paste)

Dressing
Meguiars Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel
Meguiars Hyper Dressing
Meguiars Quik interior detailer
Meguiars side lock brush

No before pics because the car was not that dirty to start off with. Here is another picture of the runny foam solution. By the time we rinsed and prepared for washing the car, a lot of the dirt had been lifted from the surface.
[Image: GT21.jpg]

[Image: GT22.jpg]

[Image: GT23.jpg]

[Image: GT24.jpg]

[Image: GT25.jpg]

[Image: GT26.jpg]

[Image: GT27.jpg]

[Image: GT28.jpg]

[Image: GT29.jpg]

[Image: GT210.jpg]

[Image: GT211.jpg]

[Image: GT212.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2008, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2008 09:49 PM by freerider.)
RE: Silver GT2
Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool

I WANT! that last pic is awesome! and once again Siya, some very nice work!

freerider AKA don

07-09-2008, 10:00 PM
A 997 GT2, thats really something special! Cracking work! You like the Menz, i still have to try mine.
07-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys. Its still early days with Menz polishes. However based on the first application, these two are going to be my go to polishes. They reduced the work time considerably. The owner of the car asked me to finish everything up in 5 hours. I didn't think I would manage given the concentration required for a car with so many contours and the Honda S2000 took seven hours.

I had plenty of time to spare mainly because there was less time wasted in cleaning pads, and reapplying product on the same panel.
08-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Excellent work Siya. I love the rear quarter angle shots - the coming together of the various contours gives a good visual representation of the clarity and gloss.

You need to pay me a visit and come demo the Menzerna polishes to me.
08-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Clap Fantastic work on a fantastic car Siya Drool

Glad to hear you liking the Menz polishes Thumbsup2

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Ah wow...must have been a fun car to work on. Bluebiggrin Well done Siya!

Matteo - 2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
[Image: forumsignature.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2008, 07:29 PM
You lucky guy. Must say, the silver does have a very nice gloss to it with that 50/50.

Oh, trade secret, Don and Megesh pay some kid down the road to sign all those tins. lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Silver Toyota Corolla mommet 0 7,923 06-01-2014 08:29 PM
Last Post: mommet
  Lambchop Vs "Pepe" The Silver Bullet Lambchop 15 42,430 03-12-2011 03:54 AM
Last Post: zckid
  The Silver Sabre and the detail of Awesomeness SilverSabre 16 36,768 24-07-2011 09:03 PM
Last Post: Jughead