Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
Total Novice needs advice
01-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Total Novice needs advice
I must admit, that this is really the first time I have actually put some thought into this idea of car washing. It has pretty much been something for the garden technician to do after mowing my lawn.

The idea came after seeing an insert on the guy that does the 5000 Pound car wash in the UK. 9 month waiting list. yeeeeeehaw.

At present I have no experience, except for sheild car wash and diamond guard. At least i have a nice microfibre washing sponge. I am terrified of mechanical polishing or buffing or whatever, just in case it ends up costing me a fortune to fix. Maybe later when I am more confident.

My question is this: What products would you recommend for someone starting detailing, interior and exterior. Right from start ie buckets, right to the end in whatever, bearing in mind that it will be done by hand for a while.

My aim is to first attack friends and family to practice my skills on, and then later take over the world (so to say)

I have surfed for some ideas here, and there are some real pearls of info like the microfibre thread. I have even Googled for it and that made my head ache with all the info out there. I want it plain'ish and solid. Please

Oh, and another thing. When doing the chip repairs, how can i tell if my car has a clear coat on it. I drive a 2007, 3dr Polo Tdi, in a really Smarty Blue.

Thanks in advanceWavey
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
RE: Total Novice needs advice
Ok also of questions in here, all tackle one and leave the rest to the board. Your car is clear coated, all modern conventional cars are. If you polish the car and your polishing medium turns the colour of your car, then your car has no clear coat.
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi Big Guy (that sounded whoreish :roflBluebiggrin

Welcome to the forum Clap

If I were a beginner just starting out my detailing kit would look something along the lines of this :

2 x 30-40ltr buckets
Proper wash mitt
Waffle weave drying towel
Good quality car shampoo (the Chemical guys stuff Don stocks is really nice)
Sonax Xtreme rim cleaner
Tyre and rim brushes (Mothers brushes are solid - Don again)
Meguiars endurance tyre gel (the best - period ! IMHO)
Autoglym Super Resin Polish (perfect for hand jobs - there's that whoreish again Bluebiggrin )
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
Some CG's microfibers for polishing and buffing the sealant (Don again Bluebiggrin )
Autoglym Fast glass or Sonax glass cleaner for the windows

Thats pretty much it and I think you could be all set for around R1200 or so give or take Thumbsup2

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2008, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2008 08:00 PM by freerider.)
Big Guy, Welcome to the forum! nice to have you on board.

Adding to what carn said, many of the people who post in the show and shine section, list all the products used and normally the order in which they where used.

I think Carn may have forgotten to add clay to his list.

The basic/intermediate process you should start with is probably:

Wash (get a decent wash)
Dry (again waffle weave drying towels are excellent - 1 towel generally dries the entire car)
clay (this process removes all the bonded contaminants from the surface of your car)
Polish (a great way to revive your cars paint)
Wax (seals the paint and provides protection against the elements)

the following is an excellent guide that Carn posted
http://www.waxon.co.za/showthread.php?tid=68

Don

freerider AKA don

01-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I think you all have forgotten to add one rather important thing...

Matteo - 2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
[Image: forumsignature.jpg]
01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
freerider Wrote:I think Carn may have forgotten to add clay to his list.

Don I left the clay out for 2 reasons.

1.) If the car hasn't been clayed often and has alot of bonded contaminants, the actual claying process more often than not winds up further marring the paintwork.

2.) I assumed being a newbie to detailing Big Guy would be doing all correction work by hand, which in my experience won't remove much of the marring left behind by claying.

6 of the one, half dozen of the other but yes I can conceed clay would be a usefull addition if used with care Bluebiggrin

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Ah I thought there was reason behind the madness Bluebiggrin

Metsu what would that be??? a wash mitt? Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
THAT DETAILING IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE AND SHOULD COME WITH A WARNING!! Bluebiggrin Tongue Bluebiggrin

Matteo - 2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
[Image: forumsignature.jpg]
01-09-2008, 09:55 PM
MeTsU Wrote:THAT DETAILING IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE AND SHOULD COME WITH A WARNING!! Bluebiggrin Tongue Bluebiggrin

Rofl

freerider AKA don

02-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks a whole bunch.
I'm sure that it'll get me on the way.

Gary
02-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi BG

I also think that as you add more goodies to your collection you will start to find products you prefere to others. I dont think one make has a perfect range. You will find a few products from each manufacturer that you will prefere.

Oh, welcome to the forum.
02-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi Big Guy and welcome to the forum.

As Metsu has indicated - detailing is addictive, but unlike other addictions it has not yet proven bad for one's health Bluebiggrin.

Another option to consider is the Adams Detailing Kit. For just over R1K you can get the basics. Although not currently listed on the poor-boys site, I'm sure that Don would be able to organise it for you.
02-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately there are none left until the end of September when more stock arrives from the states Sad

Big Guy, I can always put a kit together for you Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

02-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks
Will let you know when I need to get it. Just doing some research at the mo. I was wondering why no-one mentioned Adams products or AutoGlym.

What about interior. Leather and Cloth, or is that a whole other minefield.

Are there many detailers in GP, and who do they cater to. Walkins?

Thanks
Gary
02-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I think the only reason why no-one really mentioned Adams was that there is such limited stock remaining in SA.
All that will be fixed come end September though Bluebiggrin

There are 2 products in AutoGlym's range that I swear by, namely the Fast Glass and Glass Polish.

Interior could be a whole other minefield, though most ppl over look it as they try to block it out in their subconscious Icon9

There are many detailers in JHB, both private and pro, just ask Carn for a hand, I'm sure he would oblige.

freerider AKA don