Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
IPA Dillution
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
IPA Dillution
Hi all,

I recievd my first bottle of IPA (PROPAN-2-OL) which I had to order because no one in my dof town keeps it in stock. This is what I recieved.

I read that if the dillution is not true and it is too strong you might damage the paint and other surfaces. My question is, how do I get a true 1:1 dullution per vollume or am I just trying to be too technical, is 50ml water to 50ml IPA sufficient? Do I use regular tap water or RO water?

Please help a chemistry noob.

Wouter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2011 10:55 AM by Lambchop.)
RE: IPA Dillution
This stuff is a alcohol and evaporates really quick
I normally dilute it 1:1

it also depends what you want to use it for
For cleaning paint surfaces i normally use 1:1 - I always dilute with distilled water

[Image: Crop.jpg]
04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
If your IPA is 95%+ concentrated then you can go with a 1:1 mix. If you have a 50% or 70% IPA solution you will need to mix it accordingly to get a true 1:1 mix Thumb

Finally, as Nic mentioned above use distilled water for your mix!

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
(04-05-2011 02:29 PM)Carn Wrote:  If your IPA is 95%+ concentrated then you can go with a 1:1 mix. If you have a 50% or 70% IPA solution you will need to mix it accordingly to get a true 1:1 mix Thumb

Finally, as Nic mentioned above use distilled water for your mix!

Nice one Dave

Iv also noticed its difficult to find the actual purity of IPA
the stuff i got was 99% pure so much easier to work out the ratio
But some of the IPA i got from dischem never had the percentage on the bottle . So it was a bit of a hit and miss

04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks both you guys, all I said to the sales rep at the chemical company was that I am looking for the good stuff, so he said the Platinum Line (AR) is the best. I will allways try to order from them, it's just very expensive, about R200 for 2,5L.

I have this purple film in my cars' windscreen that does not seem to come clean. Will IPA sort it out? I also have a client that want all his badges removed as well as the lisence disc holders on his windscreen, also IPA?

Wouter
04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
(04-05-2011 03:49 PM)katotter Wrote:  I have this purple film in my cars' windscreen that does not seem to come clean. Will IPA sort it out?

That may be an anti reflex coating of sorts...I wouldn't try anything stronger than IPA to try and remove it as it may actually be part of the windshield (assuming it isnt restricted to a few small patches) Uhoh2

www.mobileimage.co.za

04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
(04-05-2011 03:49 PM)katotter Wrote:  Thanks both you guys, all I said to the sales rep at the chemical company was that I am looking for the good stuff, so he said the Platinum Line (AR) is the best. I will allways try to order from them, it's just very expensive, about R200 for 2,5L.

I have this purple film in my cars' windscreen that does not seem to come clean. Will IPA sort it out? I also have a client that want all his badges removed as well as the lisence disc holders on his windscreen, also IPA?

Hi

Not sure about the Windscreen film
But will def remove glue residue off glass

Hell i removed glue residue from stripes off a focus with IPA Bluebiggrin

05-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Maybe I should'nt have called it a film, its like a oily residue. When I take to it with a cloth, it just gets moved about, I've used purple spirits, windowleen etc... it just would not come off. Whenever it's cold and the windshield fogs up inside, you can see this marks/patches/smeers clearly.

The other question for IPA is, is it tint safe?

Wouter
05-05-2011, 07:13 AM
(05-05-2011 06:54 AM)katotter Wrote:  Maybe I should'nt have called it a film, its like a oily residue. When I take to it with a cloth, it just gets moved about, I've used purple spirits, windowleen etc... it just would not come off. Whenever it's cold and the windshield fogs up inside, you can see this marks/patches/smeers clearly.

The other question for IPA is, is it tint safe?

The IPA should work for the oily residue then. As far as the tint goes I would advise you to test a small spot 1st before spraying the entire window Thumb

www.mobileimage.co.za

05-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Seems I'm learning new things everyday ... which is a good thing Bluebiggrin

Bought a DA polisher, then learnt I need more than one pad per stage (compound, polish, finish) and also IPA wipedown in-between ...
(Not to mention foam pad cleaning methods, hehe !!! )

So, more Q's around IPA ...

Where do you guys buy your IPA (Isopropyl alcohol)?
What Manufacturer/Name?
Price?
Quantity (ml or ltr)?
Concentration 90%, 99%, etc?

Local Detailer showed me one in a small, brown, glass bottle, but can't remember name, concentration or where he bought it (think he did mention local Pharmacy).

Thanks

Regards

AJ
05-05-2011, 07:42 AM
I get from Dischem, mix 1:1, been working great for me.
05-05-2011, 09:30 AM
IPA 1:1 mix is safe for tints

and Should remove that purple haze in concentrated form dont stress about glass its tough stuff Bluebiggrin

Jughead - I got my stuff from Triangle Solvents - its 99% pure and way cheaper than Dischem
Dischem were charding R50 for 500ml and Triangle were like R10 a litre

Wasnt Benzine was it Jughead?

05-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Is IPA available from CD?

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. - Carl Sagan
05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I got mine from Protea Chemicals, they charged me R188.10 for 2.5L, it's the good quality one, but I do not have another price to compare it to.

To Jughead, On the bottle it said ACE Chemicals, Associated Chemical Enterprises, here is their website. Click on my earlier posts link to see the exact pdf document on the product. I know it comes in larger qty's as well, and if you get the platinum grade (AR) it's a 99.5% concentration.

To SilverSabre, I do not think CD has it as a stock item, although I think they aught to keep it to make our lives easier.

I have the smash and grab tint on my car, an have not used any cleaning meterials or chemical on it as yet, I will try IPA and see what happens. I also want to take off my rear numberplate and clean off all the previous d/sides tape that was used.

Lets touch another subject, I need to get some APC, what do I get and where? Can I buy regular yellow APC from my local supplier @ R50 for 5L or do I need to blow the budget on something like carways or Megs APC+? That will mainly be used for interiors and wheel arches, maybe engin bays and rims untill I can save up for the proper products.

Wouter
05-05-2011, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 06:36 PM by Jughead.)
@ Lambchop - Benzine? ... Oh the small, brown glass bottle ... Could be? not sure ... but he did say it was for the IPA wipedown ... Iono

Thanks for the feedback on IPA guys ... much appreciated!!! Thumb

I see Triangle Solvents based in Germiston
... "... we currently have the capacity to store approximately one million litres of solvents in our underground tank farm..."...
Eish !!! Bluebiggrin Hammerhead

Will have to find out best place in CPT? (Price/Quantity/Concentration)
Thumb
05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
(05-05-2011 11:29 AM)Jughead Wrote:  Will have to find out best place in CPT? (Price/Qunatity/Concentration)
Thumb

If you do find a dealer please let us know

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. - Carl Sagan
05-05-2011, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 04:42 PM by kripstoe.)
There is a place in Cape Town, but there's a minimum order quantity.... 14 metric tons.

Group buy? Bluebiggrin Bluebiggrin

[Image: sig3.png]
06-05-2011, 07:59 AM
(05-05-2011 04:38 PM)kripstoe Wrote:  There is a place in Cape Town, but there's a minimum order quantity.... 14 metric tons.

Group buy? Bluebiggrin Bluebiggrin

You get the the IPA....I'll get the bottles...and Together we will WholeSale!! Tongue

06-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Only 14, I'll be the first customer...

Wouter