Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
Advice required: takkies for the Golf
06-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Advice required: takkies for the Golf
Got a shock this weekend when I saw the trye ware on the front tyres of the Golf. I can't see much more action from the pair at the front beyond August.

I need advice from the fundis on the forum (Carn, Rustbucket, Graham). I am looking for a set of tyres (size: 225 / 40 / 18) that wont break the budget. I've called around the usual suspects (TWT and Mintys) and they have given me the following quotes (per trye):

Toyo T1s: R1,800
Continental Sport Contact 2: R3,106
Goodyear F1: R3,141
Michelin Sport: R3,830
Bridgestone Potenza: R4,994

I was very happy with the Potenzas that came with the car but the replacement part is way over my budget.

Are these the most competive prices? Are there other brands that I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2008, 04:40 PM
RE: Advice required: takkies for the Golf
I roll 225 45 17's in the Conti sport contact 3's and they are very :shoesmiley: indeed!

I believe they are a lot more expensive in 18's though! I paid R1850 each for mine.

Your tyres are the most important part of your car.... dont compromise Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Siya I managed to get a huge bolt through one of my Bridgestones last year...........

[Image: GTI-008.jpg]

At the time despite the tires being relatively new I didn't want to change only 1 of them and sit with 1 new and 1 old tire. Considering the price of a set of replacement Bridgestones (+-R7600) I decided to rather get something cheaper. I wound up buying Hankook's Ventus Sport K104's, they were also a Y rated tire (important for insurance purposes that you stick to the same speed rating on the tires) and offered a very good level of performance at an affordable price. I used them at one of the VW club's go-kart track events and they performed pretty well IMHO without sliding or anything funny going on Bluebiggrin

As far as road noise was concerned they were pretty much on par with the Bridgestones with no noticeable increase or decrease in noise from the cabin.

I picked up both fitted for just over R2000 at the time from Tire Man in Boksburg......bargain in my books Wink

Hankook's seem like a little bit of a 'fong kong' brand but they are very popular overseas and do well in various forms of motorsport. Shaun Mooloo (Rabbit 222 on the VW bb) had the Toyo Proxes on his GTI and he wasn't impressed with them at all and wound up swapping them for Yoki's. The Michelin Sports are awesome tires but they are a softer, grippier compound (good for grip but bad for mileage). Conti's are good mileage wise as far as I know but don't shine up as nicely as the Bridgestone's (always a consideration for a detailer) Rofl

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Im in a similar situation with my M3, I'm going for Goodyear Eagle F1's.
I dunno if you have read http://www.tirerack.com but they have plenty of reviews and make the decision process a little easier.
06-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the comments gents.

Carn
The R7,600 quote for Bridgestones, is that for 2 or for a set of 4? My guess is its for two. If I am wrong, which dealer is that from?
06-08-2008, 08:16 PM
R7600 was for 2 for the rear Wink

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

06-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Why are they so expensive? Which model are they? The Potenza's i was looking at were cheaper than the Goodyear's, but had terrible treadwear rating.
06-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I have used Bridgestones on a number of vehicles Beemers (yes I also owned some) and Alfa's, and I never paid anything like that!
08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Well I have put the 18 Kuhmo's on my car for Tyre Man Auto. Also spent R1200 per tyre. My dad has also put these on his Audi TT. Road noise is very low and handling has been as good as my Conti's. Think they were a great buy.

I know the Goodyear F1's are good but road noise is an issue. Also, dont forget about the tyre rating. Stick to the rating the manufacturer give. I know many of the guys went down to a W rating to save money but I am soo worried to do that with the way the insurance companies are now days.
08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
http://hfortysixit.wordpress.com/2008/02...ideo-info/

These might change my mind from the Goodyears.
14-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Hmmm tyres for the golf hey, I put michellins and bridgestones an oll my cars - I like those two the best :-)

Honestly the toyo is not a bad tyre but if you can, go michellin or continental in that order if all those tyres are not fitting your car properly (ie you don't like them, they look funi, they don't sound the same or.... shhh they maybe badly priced :-)) do yourself a flavour and have a look at a silverstone, maragoni and nangkang they are not well known but from the experience I've had they don't do badly - we run them on our delivery vans.

You can also shop around a bit and find some bearly used potenza's from the guys that change thier rims the day they buy it :-)

Oh and do you want a performance tyre? comfort one? maybe one that lasts long - this wont be either quiet or sporty - choon me I've had loads of rubber :-) all in all I've covered many km in my driving career :-)

'84 VW Golf MK II 2.0 16vt GTI (Project)
'99 VW Golf MK IV 2.0 8vt (Boost is done, sound to go in)
'08 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 Supercab (Daily ox wagon)
'04 BMW 318ti
'01 Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI
couple of delivery vans and a truck
22-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Guys, thanks for all the recommendations. The Kumho tyres quoted by Tyreman were compelling but there was a niggling thought on quality and my general ignorance about the manufacturer.

After much researching on the net, I opted for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. The tyre won Autocar magazine's tyre test in 2007. HiQ managed to quote me at R2400 per tyre.

Still early days, but it does feel better than my previous Toyos.
23-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Siya, please keep us informed as to how it's going. I am going to need new tyres quite soon so am starting to look around. Bridgestones, Pirrellis, Goodyears? Thinking

Going to have my mags refurbed at the same time. Mmmm, looking forward to it.
23-08-2008, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2008 10:50 AM by freerider.)
As a matter of interest, where are you going to have them refurbished?

Alastiar, I have the Conti Sport Contact 3's on the back of my car, and will be replacing the fronts with the same as soon as I have the spare dough. They are simply AMAZING tires to drive in the wet and dry, with very little road noise and great traction!

springbok Wrote:Siya, please keep us informed as to how it's going. I am going to need new tyres quite soon so am starting to look around. Bridgestones, Pirrellis, Goodyears? Thinking

Going to have my mags refurbed at the same time. Mmmm, looking forward to it.

freerider AKA don

23-08-2008, 11:31 AM
It's a place in Bellville. I will have to look the number up.
01-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Any work on the Goodyears, i just checked and i have 1mm tread depth, so i need to decide kinda soon. Still dunno if i should get the lighter Michelin PS2's.
01-09-2008, 10:27 PM
springbok Wrote:It's a place in Bellville. I will have to look the number up.

True Wheel t/a Wheel Service Centre
(021) 930-0453
02-09-2008, 07:20 AM
springbok Wrote:
springbok Wrote:It's a place in Bellville. I will have to look the number up.

True Wheel t/a Wheel Service Centre
(021) 930-0453

Thanks Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
[Image: IMG00219.jpg]

Mine just arrived, also settled for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Aymetrical.

Any long term test words for them siya?
03-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Mmm nice. Let us know how they turn out.

I have just about decided on Conti Sport Contact 3 just shopping about for the best price.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ADVICE NEEDED PrevanP 2 8,345 04-03-2011 02:10 PM
Last Post: TOGWT
  VW - Golf 6 - GTi Trio Rich 11 29,462 22-10-2010 08:27 AM
Last Post: Jughead
  Frozen Gray M3 Owners required to sign paint care agreement before delivery kripstoe 12 30,032 22-09-2010 01:32 PM
Last Post: kripstoe