Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Hallo from the lowveld
27-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Hallo from the lowveld
Hi guys, I'm from The Limpopo Province and I live in Hoedspruit, maybe some of you know the town. I am verrrrrry new to the detaling scene but am very enthused and eager to learn. I do however have a LOT of questions for you pro's and even not so pro's, lol.

I am going to place an order with CD within the next few days for the basic stuff which can be applied by hand, here they are
[Image: 5392504142_79a89151c2.jpg]
please let me know what you think and if it all is good products. As soon as I have enough moola I will get me a proper polisher, a 9227 or 220 also from CD, but for now I will stick with the hand model.

I have been a member on Autopia for a few days but cannot relate the the poster on there as they are far away and far too experienced for me to understand them, but I'll get there.

BTW, nice site, local is lekker!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2011, 10:37 AM
RE: Hallo from the lowveld
Hi and welcome to the forum. As you may have seen, we're a growing community of detailers and are (for the most part) quite willing to help newbies to our hobby/passion.

Unfortunately, my eyesight isn't the best and the screenshot you posted is pretty small, so I can't make out the list of what you've ordered. Any chance you can type up the list and post it in the thread?
27-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, it seems the picture cam out very small, here goes(not in order of use off course):

1.CD Detail clay bar & Lube Starter Kit
2.CD PolyFoam 4" Applicators
3.3M Blue Tape
4.CD Supreme Drying Towel (90x64cm)
5.Autoglym Super Resin Polish
6.CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (can I use it for regular wash aswell?)
7.CG No More Bugs & Tar HD Shampoo (can this be used for regular wash?)
8.Collinite Liquid Insulator wax (I think I'm going to change this to Jetseal 109)
9.Autoglym Clean Wheels
10.CG Wheel & Rim Cleaner Premium Blue
Its either gonna be 9 or 10 not both.

Thank you for the greet.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

27-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Hello katotter,
I often come up to the Hoedspruit area, flying my bosses between their game reserves. Can't see all of your list(too small) but I would certainly suggest something for UV protection for the interior. You guys get some pretty powerful sun in summer. Looks like you've got Collinite 845 on the list for the exterior? I'm no expert but that should work nicely.

[Image: 3orql10xyr5983zr0vrx.jpg]
27-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi katotter

Welcome to Waxon ...
27-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Welcome Katotter Wavey

See my notes below regarding your list and questions...

6.CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (can I use it for regular wash aswell?)

You can use the CWG (Citrus Wash & Gloss) as a regular shampoo, but make sure you adhere to the recommended dilution ratio as it can strip your LSP (Last Step Product ie wax/sealant).

7.CG No More Bugs & Tar HD Shampoo (can this be used for regular wash?)

I wouldn't recommend this shampoo as a regular wash as it is also a fairly strong product which is ideally aimed at spot treatments of problem areas.

8.Collinite Liquid Insulator wax (I think I'm going to change this to Jetseal 109)

I would stick with the Collinite 845. It is a terrific product both in it's use and durability. Jetseal 109 probably wouldn't add much in the way of additional gloss/wetness over the 845, and is also significantly more expensive afaik. If you are wanting to go the sealant route over a wax then consider the Autoglym EGP (Extra Gloss Protection) sealant. It is designed to be used in conjunction with the SRP (Super Resin Polish) and will give you some terrific results!

9.Autoglym Clean Wheels
10.CG Wheel & Rim Cleaner Premium Blue

I haven't used the 2 products you have mentioned but I would suggest you give the CG Diable wheel gel a go. It's a fantastic product and can be diluted to different strengths depending on how dirty/neglected your wheels are.

As far as machines go you may want to consider the Shield DAS6 DA polisher. It's a fantastic little machine and iirc is slightly cheaper than the G220. The 9227 is a professional grade rotary polisher and will require a somewhat steeper learning curve to master than a traditional DA (dual action) machine.

Hope that helps Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you for the feedback, that helps me a lot, can you please tell me where I can find that Shield DAS6 DA polisher?
27-01-2011, 09:01 PM
(27-01-2011 03:43 PM)katotter Wrote:  Thank you for the feedback, that helps me a lot, can you please tell me where I can find that Shield DAS6 DA polisher?

Introduction

Review

Promo

Thumb

PS: The machine is available loose as well and comes with 3 entry level pads!

www.mobileimage.co.za

27-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Nice list of goodies you got there... Clear out a cupboard in your garage, you're going to need it Bluebiggrin

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
28-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Dave has given you a good overview and response.

The only thing I would add from my personal experience is a comment on the CD Drying towel. I have two in my arsenal and they are worth every penny. They are good quality microfiber towels and work excellently.
28-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi Katotter

I 2nd the comments on the Collinite 845 and the CD Supreme Drying Towel - awesome tools in your detailing arsenal.

By the way ... what make/colour of vehicle you going to detail?

Awesome list of goodies there ...

Carn is also the go to guy here for detailing supplies ... Thumbsup2
28-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanx you guys, al l your comments are appriciated. Seems like Carn will be hearing a LOT from me from now on...lol.

Just to reply to Jughead on what make/model the car is, It's my own 06' Jetta MKV 2.0, it's the north sea green color [LA6R] (MY06-MY07), not a lot of them around here.

[Image: 5365878183_e90e99ec5c.jpg]
[Image: 5365881045_4d8937f778.jpg]
[Image: 5365874383_e08daf1154.jpg]

And if it all goes well, I will be doing my dad's 320D aswell, a 03' 320D reflex silver

[Image: 5365871715_6ccd59cce1.jpg]

And maybe my brother in law's accord, grey metallic

[Image: 5365854477_e7463d6983.jpg]
Thanx again for all your help and greetingsThumb
28-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Nice line-up... you have your work cut out!

Love those Jettas, thinking about trading in the GolfV 2.0 FSi in for one.... What say you?

28-01-2011, 11:19 AM
(28-01-2011 11:10 AM)onyx Wrote:  Love those Jettas, thinking about trading in the GolfV 2.0 FSi in for one.... What say you?

I had a Polo before(I'm a massive Dub fan) I bought the Jetta, then came along my 5 month old, Wiehahn, and had to get rid of the hatch and the Jetta came on my way, so yeah I'd go for it any day of the week. I am however looking to buy again, but this time it's going to be a toy, maybe a Jumbo or a Golf III GTi, but neither of those come cheap if they are in good nic. And I got it at a good price so could not see it go past. Any pics of your ride?

Wouter
28-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Hey guys, I do not have lotta moola and not enough guts after reading all the posts about elbow grease and hard work if you want to detail a car by hand, so I looked around a bit and saw the Shield polisher for R450 at game, is this good entry level product or will I be waisting my time and money?

Sorry if this subject has been handled, I am still figuring out the search functionIcon9

Wouter
28-01-2011, 01:57 PM
(28-01-2011 01:39 PM)katotter Wrote:  Hey guys, I do not have lotta moola and not enough guts after reading all the posts about elbow grease and hard work if you want to detail a car by hand, so I looked around a bit and saw the Shield polisher for R450 at game, is this good entry level product or will I be waisting my time and money?

Sorry if this subject has been handled, I am still figuring out the search functionIcon9

The Shield Orbital's work ok. It's a bit bulky to get into some of the tight spots, but will definately give you results on par with those of a hand job, if not marginally better due to a lack of fatigue Thumb

www.mobileimage.co.za

28-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Never owned one but did try out my bro in-laws ages ago!
Like Carn says, better than a 'hand job' and definately suited to using on the larger surface areas (tight spots - it aint going to happen)

Also, they tend to give up after a while of extended use.

I'd rather save up for a while and get the Megs or Kestral DA... Thumb

28-01-2011, 03:27 PM
In my opinion they are best used as wax spreaders and removers. I do not believe that the machine has enough torque to allow for defect removal.

Listen to Onyx - put that R450 towards saving for a Shield DAS6.
28-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanx you guys, you're helping me a lot, must say local okes are much nicer than the inrternational one's. I work as a salesman in a hardware shop and can get this Hitcahi SAT180 sander/polisher at cost, here is the specs on it:
* 3,400 rpm
* 2 speeds
* Lightweight--only 6.4 lbs out of box

Any views?

Wouter
28-01-2011, 04:30 PM
2 speeds... either slow or fast! (either way it aint what you're looking for, you'll need speeds 2 - 4/5)

Really save the cash and get the Shield DA6. Or if you're really adventurous and can practice on a panel or 2 then the tried/trusted Makita 9227 is a winner

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hallo Grantsterza 2 30,124 06-02-2013 09:15 PM
Last Post: kripstoe