Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
My First Attempt at Detailing
26-01-2011, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2011 06:47 PM by STaX.)
My First Attempt at Detailing
I received my package of products on Friday and I had no work to do so on Monday the process began.

Looking at the car it did not look too bad. I take pride in keeping her clean and shiny.
[Image: 9duofo8n3t5bhgy0oop.jpg]

So I got to work. Firstly a wash down with Maxi Suds 2 and then got into all the panel gaps, door hinges etc. with some general purpose cleaner and attacked with a small assortment of brushes. Wheel arches got the same treatment but they had been painted in something. I'm guessing some kind of anti-corrosion protection. Wheels got Sonax Xtreme Rim Cleaner. After the clean down, Mothers Gold clay bar was used to remove contaminents. There actually wasn't much to be removed which was suprising as the car stays outside.
Note to self: don't use Shield Instant detailer as a lube.(It eats the clay) I was hoping to save the Mothers QD for actual quick details later.

After the wash and clay, on closer inspection under the garage strip lights and a small halogen reading lamp, it showed this. A lovely selection of scratches, swirls and pitting. Thankfully the pitting was only found on the bonnet, probably from sand and small stones whilst driving.
[Image: aqk0309wlnc98cz836hn.jpg]

After seeing that, I figured it was going to need a fair bit of corrective work so pulled out the rotary and the Megs Ultimate Compound(all I've got for now) and began with a white Lake Country CCS polishing pad. This didn't do the job so stepped up to the green pad. This did a better job.

Before the UC ......
[Image: 5ba3bzf3gqdeexnzjpfp.jpg]
.......and after.
[Image: 8j3ubl2rdoowtdfqo5fj.jpg]
Overall it was an OK job. There were still light traces of the deeper scratches and swirls but after one revolution of the car my back was beginning to hate me. The pitting was not budging with the Megs so that will most likely need something a bit more potent on an orange pad.

Final finish was done with Autoglym Super Resin polish on a white Lake Coutry CCS pad. Not that it actually needed it as the Megs UC actually finished quite well, I thought.

LSP was Chemical Guys Extreme Top Coat Sealant which was applied by hand after the car had a rinse down to remove any polish residue. This was left for about 30 minutes before buffing off then left overnight as by now I was buggered.

The next morning saw me finishing off with the exterior plastics and wheels. Plastics got 303 Aerospace and wheels got Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal. Tyres got Megs Hot Shine Tyre spray which will need replacing with something a bit more durable(any suggestions?).
Next, the interior which saw the 303 coming in again for plastics and Collinite 855 for the leather seats and door pads. I am quite impressed with the 855, I haven't used anything like this before. You can see the dirt coming off in the cloth.

All in all, it was a couple days of torture. I see now why you guys charge so much. You must have your chiropractor on speed dial.

Closing shots. Sorry about the poor pics but light in Durban has been at a bit of a premium the last three days.

Before:
[Image: 2sds05qh5hqps4zfdn2.jpg]
After:
[Image: ke3n7uhi4jhqaiws54t.jpg]

More:
[Image: v4sdlbx4dt7z4kfufz6k.jpg][Image: f6qtn1uimd93bd6s8ac.jpg]
[Image: dew07miqnidkpmss7nt4.jpg]
This pic does not do it justice. This actually looks filthy but lighting caused kak. Why do steering wheels always come out brown in photos?

[Image: orw5mz4748f4bacjvgwq.jpg][Image: gnicxss046nws8bcaxqq.jpg]

And because you guys seem to like these, I snapped this just as it started to rain.
[Image: wx8z9xs26n8jnw2ad1xo.jpg]

[Image: 3orql10xyr5983zr0vrx.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2011, 03:32 PM
RE: My First Attempt at Detailing
Looks good, my pics also comes out kak most of the times, I am going to get me a proper SLR camera o take better pics. I am also new to the detailing scene, hope to get my products within the next few days or next week.
26-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Well done Stax - not only for the detailing, but also for taking the time out to post the photos and process.

There is a definite improvement in the depth of colour and gloss. Your car definitely looks the part inside and out.

Just one comment on your process - the Meguiars Ultimate Compound is designed for use by hand or DA and is not recommended for rotary polishing. If you're going to be using the rotary regularly, I would recommend that you get your hands on a decent compound that is better suited to rotary polishing.
26-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Bluebiggrin Now you know how we feel after Machine polishing all day

Nice result though - Well Done

[Image: Crop.jpg]
26-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Love that colour... on your first attempt, well done! (muscles still a little tender?)

Your first time using the rotary in conjunction with a foam pad/polish?

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
26-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Excellent 1st attempt, well done Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2011, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2011 05:08 PM by STaX.)
(26-01-2011 03:48 PM)Woodie Wrote:  Just one comment on your process - the Meguiars Ultimate Compound is designed for use by hand or DA and is not recommended for rotary polishing. If you're going to be using the rotary regularly, I would recommend that you get your hands on a decent compound that is better suited to rotary polishing.

I know it is suited for DA and hand jobs but I wanted to try and see what it would do as it's all I had at the time. My conclusion is that it's not the best choice as it generates a lot of heat. Next buy is going to be some Menz(which one ?).
(26-01-2011 04:34 PM)onyx Wrote:  Love that colour... on your first attempt, well done! (muscles still a little tender?)

Your first time using the rotary in conjunction with a foam pad/polish?

Back is a little tenderBluebiggrin and only other experience is using drill attachments with foam pads on.

[Image: 3orql10xyr5983zr0vrx.jpg]
26-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Menz Sample pack (250ml i think)
• Power Gloss
• Power Finish
• Final Finish

PM Carn for details. Thumb

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
26-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Great job STaX ... Nice results ...

Seems they need to invent a rotary/DA "massage head"... for post detail therapy Bluebiggrin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Andrewbuch's E46 318i - Detailing thread andrewbuch 17 47,946 13-12-2011 02:07 PM
Last Post: andrewbuch
  318i Paint Correction - First Attempt Sankekur 9 27,704 03-09-2011 10:19 AM
Last Post: springbok
  Some lazy/rushed detailing Razortjie 4 13,218 29-08-2011 07:11 AM
Last Post: Carn