Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Ultimate Polish & Ultimate Wax - a mini review
24-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Polish & Ultimate Wax - a mini review
Once I had unpacked my new stash of goodies, I braved the inclement weather yesterday to put some of them through their paces.

I decided to try out the Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax. First the two products themselves:

Ultimate Polish

A standard 16oz (473ml) bottle in the now familiar black and chrome Ultimate branding.

[Image: 0fd9adb3.jpg]

Ultimate Paste Wax

At the time of ordering, the liquid version of the Ultimate Wax was not yet available, so I decided to get the paste version in the meantime. I will get the liquid version as soon as it is available. The wax comes in a mini kit containing a metal tub with screw off lid, a foam applicator and a black Supreme Shine microfibre cloth. The lid of the can also serves as a storage space for the foam applicator, which means you can keep it together with the can and always primed and ready for action.

[Image: 1ebdbeac.jpg]

[Image: 187d3589.jpg]

[Image: 918c2fe1.jpg]

In action

The Ultimate Polish is very similar in appearance and consistency to its cousin from the professional range - M205. The product is easy to apply and has a long working time. The polishing oils are very apparent and the product works down to a light, slightly oily residue which is easily wiped away with a microfibre towel. It leaves a clear, glossy finish that cries out for a nice LSP to seal in the depth and clarity.

[Image: 0ae5810d.jpg]

[Image: f23536e8.jpg]

[Image: c46f5d29.jpg]

[Image: db97aa6c.jpg]

The Ultimate Paste Wax doesn't have an amazing scent that one expects from the Meguiars range, and instead smells just, well.......waxy. Although in solid form, it is fairly soft and a quick twirl of the applicator pad in the tin picked up enough wax to cover half of the bonnet and the whole fender. It goes on very easy, and after I had let it haze for +-10 minutes is wiped off just as easy, leaving a clear, deep and wet finish. With the inclement weather, there was no bright, direct sunlight around to judge the final finish in full, harsh lighting.

The one criticism I have of the kit is that the included microfibre towel is not up to the standard of the original Supreme Shine microfibre towels.

[Image: b9262738.jpg]

[Image: 07705e81.jpg]

[Image: 334b32d2.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 01:30 PM
RE: Ultimate Polish & Ultimate Wax - a mini review
Couldnt wait to play with the new toys hey! Clap

Thanks for the write-up... What's the 'cutting ability rating' on the UP?
Being part of the consumer range and the vast majority not having access to a DA, i wonder how it would fair using 'elbow grease'...

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
24-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info Woodie. Keen to hear about durability on the ultimate wax... I currently use the Megs Yellow paste wax and have some Collinite on order. Can the polish be applied by hand?
24-01-2011, 02:11 PM
(24-01-2011 01:30 PM)onyx Wrote:  What's the 'cutting ability rating' on the UP?
Being part of the consumer range and the vast majority not having access to a DA, i wonder how it would fair using 'elbow grease'...

(24-01-2011 01:32 PM)Rayner Wrote:  Can the polish be applied by hand?

Cut on the UP is about a 4 - similar to the M205, It is really a refining polish to get the finish LSP ready and will remove light swirls and hazing.

It is formulated for hand and DA application, so it should perform just fine with some elbow grease.
24-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Looks good Sean and thanks for taking the time out to post your thoughts about the product Thumb

How would you compare the UP to M205?

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2011, 07:10 AM
(24-01-2011 05:58 PM)Carn Wrote:  How would you compare the UP to M205?

Very similar. Same consistency and colour, and the cut is probably the same. If anything, the Ultimate Polish is probably a bit "wetter" with a longer working time.
25-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks for posting Woodie, really envy you. Will wait for the local distributor to stock the 2011 line.

Which polish would you recommend to the enthusiast / weekend warrior between Ultimate Compound and the new Ultimate Polish? Ultimate Compound will most like have better correction (scratch removal) qualities yet it does leave a surface that is ready for a Last Step Product like a wax or sealant.
25-01-2011, 11:03 AM
(25-01-2011 09:36 AM)Starvekos Wrote:  Which polish would you recommend to the enthusiast / weekend warrior between Ultimate Compound and the new Ultimate Polish?

Personally I feel that Ultimate Compound is the must have product in the enthusiast/weekend warrior's arsenal. By varying pressure and application media, UC can cover a wide range of uses and mitigate against the need for products such as ScratchX, SwirlX and Ultimate Polish.

That being said, I have encountered situations where UC has been a little to harsh and causes minor hazing. In these cases I would recommend the new Ultimate Polish as the ideal partner to create that LSP finish we all chase after.
09-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Hi Woodie

Pardon this unrelated question but I have noted that you are using the CD Redline polishing towels. I also bought some and after I washed mine I found some pink spots on them (seems like the redline is coming off). I washed it by hand using liquid soap. What is the correct way to clean them to prevent this?

Many thanks.
09-02-2011, 07:20 AM
(09-02-2011 12:33 AM)atzala Wrote:  Hi Woodie

Pardon this unrelated question but I have noted that you are using the CD Redline polishing towels. I also bought some and after I washed mine I found some pink spots on them (seems like the redline is coming off). I washed it by hand using liquid soap. What is the correct way to clean them to prevent this?

Many thanks.

No problem. I experienced the same, except that I machine washed mine and the pink was very light and uniformly spread over the surface of the towel. It's just the colour from the red edging that has run and I have not experienced any adverse effect on the performance of the towel.

I don't think there's any way to prevent this - just continue washing the towels and I think the spots will eventually fade.
09-02-2011, 07:26 AM
(09-02-2011 12:33 AM)atzala Wrote:  Hi Woodie

Many thanks.
I recieved my redline yesterday and will be recieving my scratchless mf towels on Friday, as soon as CD has this in stock, I will place an order. I heard it works a treatThumb

Wouter
09-02-2011, 08:00 AM
The Redline cloths are good but I had the same thing, after a wash they were pink from the edging. The white cloths also leave their fluff all over the car on the first use so inspect for the bits after you have finished.
The towels(grey ones) are better but not as soft.

[Image: 3orql10xyr5983zr0vrx.jpg]
09-02-2011, 12:16 PM
(09-02-2011 07:26 AM)katotter Wrote:  I recieved my redline yesterday and will be recieving my scratchless mf towels on Friday, as soon as CD has this in stock, I will place an order. I heard it works a treatThumb

I've tried 2 different dedicated MF detergents with good results. You can read more about them here.

If you're wanting some for your towels or just to sample I have Microrestore in stock. Details in this thread Thumb

A quick tip when it comes to towels and linting...Whenever you get new towels, give a clean CD a wipe with them. This will allow you to check that they don't scratch, as well as show up any traces of linting before use. If they do lint a pre wash with plain water usually sorts them out.

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Mazda meets Ultimate Wax in liquid form Woodie 8 26,552 21-02-2011 12:01 PM
Last Post: onyx