Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2.25 Average
Relocating...
14-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Relocating...
Well here goes...

As the topic suggests, things are moving swiftly along and in the next couple of months my family and I will be relocating from Cape Town to Pretoria.

The decision is as a result of a career opportunity which has arisen which I simply cannot pass on as this will provide me with the kind of springboard one can only hope for in my field.

As yet, nothing has been signed but it will in all likelihood be by the end of next week.

@David, now you know why I asked you to hold on to that order, I might just be collecting it from you myself..Bluebiggrin

What I would like to know and I am open to advice and opinions please. Who lives in Pretoria or has lived there and what can you tell me about the place. Places to look at in terms of living and places to avoid. Pit falls and positives..you know what I mean..

Look forward to the responses...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2010, 10:23 AM
RE: Relocating...
Congrats and good luck! What type of field are you in?

I stay in Norwood/Joburg and hardly EVER find myself on the otherside of the boerewors curtain so cant comment.
I would imagine CT to PTA must be a hard pill to swallow... been looking for an adequate job in CT but alas gotta take a knock in salary if i do move. (now trying my luck with a move to the New Zealand office)

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
14-10-2010, 11:15 AM
(14-10-2010 10:23 AM)onyx Wrote:  Congrats and good luck! What type of field are you in?

I stay in Norwood/Joburg and hardly EVER find myself on the otherside of the boerewors curtain so cant comment.
I would imagine CT to PTA must be a hard pill to swallow... been looking for an adequate job in CT but alas gotta take a knock in salary if i do move. (now trying my luck with a move to the New Zealand office)

It is going to be a massive adjustment Onyx.

As for the salaries in CT, that is indeed a problem coming down here from JHB/PTA. I am in tax...
14-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Look on the bright side - at least you'll be living in a city with a rugby team that's able to win a trophy.
14-10-2010, 12:47 PM
(14-10-2010 11:39 AM)Woodie Wrote:  Look on the bright side - at least you'll be living in a city with a rugby team that's able to win a trophy.

Clap

Nice one Woodie. I am more of a springbok supporter than a regional supporter like province or the bulls.
14-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Some of my in-laws stay in Centurion (between Jhb and Pretoria proper) and they love it there. Having spent some time there I can also say that it is nice and for the most part, clean and quiet Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Can't offer any advise on your move Torres but good luck and hopefully everything works out nicely for you.
15-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks gents. Looking forward to it with a fair bit of nerves and trepidation but change is usually a scary thing in itself. Flying up next month to have a look at a few places. Ultimately the missus will make the call on that anyway..LOL!!!
15-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Pta/Centurion are far preferable to the madness of Johies. Depending on where you'll be working, there are great options in either of those places.

That said, being an ex-Capie living in Pta, it would have to be a pretty massive incentive to give up that wonderful place by the sea