Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 2.14 Average
I am dissapointed...
01-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Sad I am dissapointed...
Firstly let me say that I value everyone contributions to the forum no matter how big or small they may be. Without you guys we wouldn't have this place!

That being said however, I find the lack of interest and participation in the Show n Shine and Competition sections to be disappointing Uhoh2

Having spent a fair amount of time and effort organising prizes from sponsors and so forth, I had hoped the competition section at the very least would get more 'hits'. With all of 2 entries in a 3 month period, 1 of which was even from December, it hardly makes a compelling case for both current and future potential sponsors to be involved.

Are you guys for a large part 'keyboard detailers' as Woodie put it, or are there other reasons for the lack of interest in sharing your work with us all?

I recently split the Show Room section into 2 groups, namely Wash & Wax and the Exhibition Room. The Wash & Wax section was setup to provide the more casual 'weekend warrior' with a place to share his/her efforts and results without any 'pressure' to have included and documented a 72 step process Bluebiggrin

The Exhibition room is intended to be a showcase for all your 'best efforts' and as such is aimed at the more detailed and intensive jobs you tackle.

The most interesting part (for me anyways) is not limited to the net result, but rather seeing many different products & techniques in action. I personally learn and pick up the most tips, techniques and product choices from reading Show & Shine threads. With many of the products mentioned on international forums not being available here, I think it is important to start our own 'database' (if I can put it that way) of products that not only work well, but are also easily accessible locally.

Aside from the sharing of knowledge, I think the Show & Shine threads provide inspiration for us all to crack out the detailing kits and spend time pampering our cars Thumb

I am open to any and all suggestions so now is the time to have your say. If there isn't any improvement particularly in the Competition section, it may be time to pull the plug Icon9

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2010, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2010 12:13 AM by dood786.)
RE: I am dissapointed...
Without a test mule, im scared to detail. I would say its a lack of confidence, also i dont have a decent place to use in my yard for washing with shade, im trying to see what i can come up with

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I think alot of the problem is that not many of us do this as a business. We have one car, you can only show the one car so many times until that becomes boring. I know ive exhausted all the rides at my house apart from the Porsche which i hope to get to in the near future.
But everyone should atleast show they work on their own can atleast once.

And quicksilver should post too seeing as though he is waxing cars each weekend Bluebiggrin
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Fair point Carn, outside of you and say Rich there are no professional detailers on the forum. Some enthusiasts (Lambchop and Woodie) and have posted some work while the rest of us have avoided posting multiple wash & wax threads.

We could up our efforts and raid the extended family fleet to provide fresh content. On the flip side, other forums have the problem of Show and Shine sections being inundated with Sunday wash threads under the guise of full details.
02-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I have the time... However venue a problem for me!
Staying in a complex means a restriction on water usage, 'noise pollution' from my rotary and generally against the rules set out.

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
02-04-2010, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2010 06:03 PM by Lambchop.)
I polish cars out of the pure love of it. However I don't agree about having to be a business to attract business. All the cars I have polished to date have been from word of mouth or forum members

As for living in a complex. Yes it's a pain but most of th time the clients do have facilities so it can be overcome. If you are keen enough you will make a plan, we always do

I must admit my detail write ups are pretty kak in comparisson to Carns
but at least the before and after results are there to be seen

@Dood. The best test mule is your own car If you make a mess then it's your car. However detailing is art that needs practice. So the more u do the more confidence you will acquire. I'm sure if you asked any of us could help you or invite you over to come and hone your skills. But don't be scared bud. The best way to overcome your fears are to face them Bluebiggrin

but let's do try guys Bluebiggrin

[Image: Crop.jpg]
02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
(02-04-2010 01:58 PM)calypso Wrote:  But everyone should atleast show they work on their own can atleast once.

I would say at least once a year, which is the minimum detailing you should do on your own car.

(02-04-2010 04:56 PM)Starvekos Wrote:  We could up our efforts and raid the extended family fleet to provide fresh content. On the flip side, other forums have the problem of Show and Shine sections being inundated with Sunday wash threads under the guise of full details.

I agree that posting every weekend wash of your own car is overkill, and don't want to see that happening, but the current situation is the opposite extreme.
03-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Just to clear up some issues are there any instruction for adding pics. i dont want to be struggling to figure this out as time is fairly low
03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
(02-04-2010 12:12 AM)dood786 Wrote:  Without a test mule, im scared to detail. I would say its a lack of confidence, also i dont have a decent place to use in my yard for washing with shade, im trying to see what i can come up with

Everyone started with there own car. Its not so bad
03-04-2010, 09:08 AM
(03-04-2010 08:20 AM)meguiarver Wrote:  Just to clear up some issues are there any instruction for adding pics. i dont want to be struggling to figure this out as time is fairly low

http://www.waxon.co.za/showthread.php?tid=727 Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I must admit this is quite surprising considering the amount of info and advice I have garnered from this forum. Would have thought that people would be happy to show off their work, I know I couldnt wait to load the pics I took last week and even while taking the pics and putting in the hours it was a real pleasure...
09-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey Guys

Time is a big problem for me,I duno about you guys & its damn cold,Im very lazy in the winter months.

But im planning on getting a few cars done after the world cup.
09-06-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't have an excuse. My car is already 100% awesomeness. Bluebiggrin

But seriously, getting the right tools and products hamper things. Time and a proper place to work in.

[Image: sig3.png]
09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Wondering what it would take to revive this thread?
22-08-2010, 10:41 PM
We wash taxis everyday and knows how to do it best, we must make a competiition at bree taxi rank, i can organise cupla taxis, let me know peoples