Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 2.57 Average
A new DA polisher has hit SA's shores...
22-02-2010, 10:37 PM
A new DA polisher has hit SA's shores...
Some of you may recall a 'feeler' thread I posted some time ago with regards to an entry level machine that would compete with the Meguiars G220.

At the time and having been asked to keep the units imminent release a secret, I referenced an identical unit (Kestrel) made by the same manufacturer for a little bit of market research purposes. After a lengthy wait the units are finally in SA and I have been given the go ahead to make their existence public.

So, without any further ado I present to you the new Shield DAS 6 Dual Action polisher Clap

[Image: IMG_8101.jpg]

Having had the opportunity to spend a few weeks with the demo unit last year, I was tasked with providing the guys at Shield with some feedback on the units. I really feel this is a fantastic little polisher that will serve both novices as well as more experienced detailers well. It is also fantastic to have a local company like Shield become more actively involved in the more serious side of car care and to take a keen interest in what the enthusiasts are up to Thumb

Now that I finally have a retail version at my disposal, I will be putting it through it's paces once more over the coming weekend. If all goes to plan you can expect to see a full detail completed with the Shield DA here on Waxon early next week Clap

Righty then, onto the actual machine.

Vital specs are as follows:

* Powerful 500W Motor
* Orbit Size: 8mm
* Interchangeable Backing Plate
* Variable 6 Speed Dial: 2,500 to 6,500rpm
* Weight - 2.2kg
* Fits 5", 6" and 6.5" polishing pads
* 3.1 Meter Heavy Duty Cable
* D-Handle and Removable Side Handle (left or right side of machine)
* Canvas Carry Case
* Aluminium Gear Housing Cover
* CNC Finished Gears
* 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty (TBC)

Retail is still TBC but from what I have been told it should be available in most of the mass mart stores (Makro, BW, etc) shortly at around the R2200 mark. I must be honest and say that I was a little disappointed when hearing the pricing figures. I initially though the machine was destined to become a real entry level offering filling the void between the original Shield Orbital and the likes of the recently discounted Meguiars G220, but for whatever reason the units have been priced squarely at the current G220 level.

All is not lost however as there will be some tasty launch promo's running shortly Bluebiggrin

This is the machine as it comes in the retail packaging.
[Image: IMG_8101.jpg]

Inside the box you will find a handy carry bag that's got loads of storage pockets both inside and out. Whilst it may not be as robust as the plastic carry case the G220 comes in, the bag is sufficiently padded and also provides additional storage space without having to disassemble your machine.

[Image: IMG_8112.jpg]

Machine and the included bits and bobs all packed neatly inside.
[Image: IMG_8114.jpg]

Inside the bag you will find the following items...
[Image: IMG_8119.jpg]

1 x Shield DA polishing machine
1 x Bail handle
1 x D handle
1 x 5.5" hook and loop backing plate
3 x Polishing pads (finishing, polishing and cutting)
1 x Instruction manual
1 x Allen key (for fitting the D handle)
1 x Spanner (for fixing the backing plate)

The machine
[Image: IMG_8121.jpg]

The pads (black=finishing/waxing, yellow=polishing and white=cutting)
[Image: IMG_8120.jpg]

I haven't had the opportunity to play with these specific pads but we will see how they fare over the weekend. I think it is a nice touch that Shield have elected to include some pads in the package thus providing the customer with everything they need aside from a polish and LSP.

If I can I will get a sample of the polish they are going to be recommending for use with the machine to the 'man in the street' and see how it performs as a whole from a total 'newbie' perspective Thumb

The other odds and ends...
[Image: IMG_8123.jpg]

Backing plate
[Image: IMG_8125.jpg]

D handle and fixing hardware
[Image: IMG_8126.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8127.jpg]

Bail handle and backing plate spanner
[Image: IMG_8128.jpg]

Instruction manual
[Image: IMG_8129.jpg]

Two of the nice features on this machine are the 2 included handles, as well as the 3.1m electrical cord. The D handle is also fully adjustable to suit your particular polishing 'style' and can be fitted in various indexed positions.

Straight up
[Image: IMG_8135.jpg]

Angled towards the front (my preference allowing more even distribution of pressure over the pad)
[Image: IMG_8137.jpg]

The bail handle
[Image: IMG_8133.jpg]

The complete assembled machine with handle and backing plate fitted
[Image: IMG_8139.jpg]

And everything tucked away inside the storage bag...
[Image: IMG_8142.jpg]

Overall and based on my time spent with the demo unit I have been well impressed with the Shield DAS 6 polisher. It's no surprise that in the detail savy markets of Europe these little machines have been selling like hotcakes (Rich from Polished Bliss mentioned selling over 100 kits in a single week Icon_jaw ).

With the original Shield Orbital being the brunt of many a joke on here and other forums, I am glad to see the guys at Shield stepping up to the plate and providing local car care enthusiasts with a quality machine that can take on the 'big boys' Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2010, 11:17 PM
RE: A new DA polisher has hit SA's shores...
I see its got the exact same instructions as the Kestral unit.
Will they take a trade in on my Shield Orbital? Tongue
Find all posts by this user
23-02-2010, 12:10 AM
wow, i agree that its great that shield have stepped up, we might even see them improving the product range soon which will be great

Its weird though how closely they match competition products in looks and size but i guess patents can only do so much

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]
23-02-2010, 07:05 AM
A welcome addition to the local detailing scene. I look forward to your "newbie" review of the machine and pads

(22-02-2010 10:37 PM)Carn Wrote:  Inside the box you will find a handy carry bag that's got loads of storage pockets both inside and out. Whilst it may not be as robust as the plastic carry case the G220 comes in, the bag is sufficiently padded and also provides additional storage space without having to disassemble your machine.

I think Meguiars realised that offering a robust plastic case is pointless if you have to disassemble the machine to use it Plthumbsdown. The v2 of the G110 machine is being supplied with a carry bag similar to the Shield one above, and I assume that the same will apply to the G220 v2 for the international market.
23-02-2010, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2010 10:52 AM by Kido.)
Shield - who would have thought Shield wanted a Kestrel
23-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Nicely packaged - interested to know what polishes/waxes they would recommend.
Maybe they'll release a 'new range' to work with the DA?!

Look forward to the review David!

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
23-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Very interesting. Pity about the price.