Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2 Average
Rim wax
17-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Rim wax
Hi Guys.

Could someone please tell me if there is any benefit in using a rim wax (eg. the smarwax product) on my rims as apposed a normal wax I would use on my car (eg. megs cleaner wax)

The smartwax website speaks of up to 75% better resistance to brakedust build up???? is this true in your experience?

I usually clean my rims with a APC followed by claying and then a coat of Megs cleaner wax for some protection and shine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2010, 05:59 PM
RE: Rim wax
Hey Rayner,

In my experience it is not only the increased durability of the Rimwax that is appealing, it is also the mild cleaning properties it possess. As far as durability is concerned I have found the Rimwax to exceed some regular liquid waxes, but TBH I haven't compared it to the likes of something like Collinite 476 or 845 which are known to be super durable.

If you are going to be waxing/sealing your wheels I would recommend you steer clear of washing with APC and claying as these can both remove the wax/sealant that you have applied. With a set of nicely waxed or sealed wheels washing can be taken care of with a regular mild shampoo Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Get yourself a pH neutral wheel cleaner for maintenance care (Sonax or Chemical Guys or AutoGlym). However, if you are using a dedicated wheel sealant like SmartWax RimWax, then ordinary car wash shampoo should suffice.

CleanerWax will offer better cleaning power, but this shouldn't matter if you wash your wheels regulary and protect them with a wheel sealant.
17-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I dont belive that wheel waxes provide any special wheel clinging properties over ordinary wax. But i have no proof.
17-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Is sonax extreme ph neutral?

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]
17-02-2010, 08:41 PM
@ Calypso...I have found the Rimwax to last a fair deal longer than what Gold Class used to when I still had the GTI. I can't comment on how it compares to some of the newer products though!

(17-02-2010 08:24 PM)dood786 Wrote:  Is sonax extreme ph neutral?

Yup, ph of 7 to 7.5 Thumb

www.mobileimage.co.za

17-02-2010, 10:52 PM
I also wager the Rimwax will last longer then gold class on the body too Tongue
18-02-2010, 12:35 AM
I want to see rimwax beading shots on your bonnet Bluebiggrin

18-02-2010, 06:52 AM
I don't think that there is any wax or sealant that prevents brake dust build up. What they do offer is easier cleaning and removal of the brake dust that has built up.

Any wax/sealant on the wheel is better than no wax/sealant at all, so whether it's GC Wax, a cleaner wax or Rimwax, you will be better off than if you used no LSP product.

Of the products that I've used on wheels, I like Rimwax and Rejex the best.
18-02-2010, 07:38 AM
On my car, i dont see a huge difference in cleaning when using Swissvax Autoban to seal the wheels. I still need to break out the brushes anyways to clean it properly. But it does leave a very pretty finish on the wheel.
18-02-2010, 01:05 PM
thanks for info guys.... will try out the rim wax next time I get the rims off. :-).... what about aches what procedure and products do you guys advise??
18-02-2010, 02:09 PM
heres a copy and paste of a post i made before

I decided to give it a shot this past weekend.

Did the rears only as i used the shield with no mix/dilution.

Used Shield Blade, Wheel arch brush and topped it off with adam's undercarriage invisible spray.

This is what i had to deal with

[Image: 06092009888.jpg]

The process i followed was spraying the Blade thoroughly, then leaving to soak. Agitating with long handle brush thoroughly and then hosing away. Dried the arch for inspection with my little red blower machine.

This is what i ended up with

Right side after round one

[Image: 06092009891.jpg]

left side after round one

[Image: 06092009892.jpg]

As you can see, the product really didnt hold its own and a second pass was needed.

Final step was to quote with the adams undercarriage spray, this product is amazing to say the least

Right side finished

[Image: 06092009889.jpg]

Left Side finished

I brushed the exhaust box too as you can see

[Image: 06092009894.jpg]

18-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Looks slick, the Adams Undercarriage spray is awesome stuff. Really finishes off a car nicely.
18-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Rayner there are a few examples of undercarriage work to be found here on the forum. Aside from my own Springbok is also a fan of regularly treating the arches, etc of his cars.

Some links...

http://www.waxon.co.za/showthread.php?tid=866

http://www.waxon.co.za/showthread.php?tid=553

http://www.waxon.co.za/showthread.php?tid=545

One of my favorite products for treating plastic arch liners is 303 Aerospace protectant. Being of an anti static formulation means less dust ends up clinging to the inside of the arches than some other oil based dressings Thumb

www.mobileimage.co.za

18-02-2010, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2010 07:24 PM by Lambchop.)
Everytime I see the word "RimWax" i cringe
What lowlife decided to call it rimwax ?....
Why not somehing like Rim Samba or Rim donkey

Oooh wait hang on ........All of those just sound wrong .....

Oh I found that Jetseal worked quiet well ..... Bluebiggrin

[Image: Crop.jpg]
19-02-2010, 09:57 AM
(18-02-2010 05:35 PM)Carn Wrote:  One of my favorite products for treating plastic arch liners is 303 Aerospace protectant. Being of an anti static formulation means less dust ends up clinging to the inside of the arches than some other oil based dressings Thumb

+1 on the 303. It's the shiznitz.